MY side of the story
Ann must have been blogging about Saturday's home improvement adventure because she came into the kitchen last night and asked me how the spell Sawz-all. A dead giveaway.
Chances are if you're reading this you've already heard the story, but the condensed version entails me trying to saw out the old vanity in our downstairs bathroom and instead hitting a hot water supply line, sending a tsunami through the wall and cascading into the basement.
One of those rare circumstances where I honestly don't know what the hell to do, and when Ann is yelling (nearly crying) "what are we gonna do????", my reply is "It'll be fine."
Liar.
I knew it as I was saying it. Lies, lies, lies. I had NO freakin' idea what I was gonna do other than stand there and watch it finish pouring from the ceiling. Hopefully.
I knew the deluge would eventually stop, but it made my heart sink into my bowels just thinking about all the water damage happening where I couldn't see it or do anything about it.
With some towels, buckets and a wet-vac we got the floor cleaned up as well as the top of the freezer which took the brunt of the water. And later in the day the floor near the scene of the crime was pretty dried out too. But I'm sure it's still a little damp way down in there. All the more reason why I'm not going to seal up that hole in the wall anytime soon.
A huge round of thanks goes to my neighbor Mark who not only volunteered his plumbing skills but also happened to have the right tools and supplies on hand, saving me an untold amount of money for a Saturday service call.
The rupture happened somewhere in the 9 am hour, and we had it fixed by 11 am or so.
Once I finish cleaning up some of the dust in there and clean out the drawers of the new vanity, the job will be complete. It looks pretty good I must say, and it's much higher than our previous "1979-era Floridian clam shell" vanity top. If that phrase sounds appealing to you, I have a vanity top just for you in the garage.
The funnier moments of the day came when Addie asked (after the craziness subsided Saturday morning) what the problem was. Clare later came into the bathroom and asked to see exactly what it was that had mom and dad in such a tizzy earlier that day.
And I'm sure the 18-year-old kid who worked at True Value this weekend now thinks I'm a complete maroon after showing up there 3 times in 2 days. It never fails. Start a job and just EXPECT that something will not go as planned.
I'll try to upload a photo of the finished product tonight. Sadly, I don't have anything of the process, I was simply too consumed with the job to think photography. And I sure as hell wasn't in the mood to share Saturday morning... ;-)
But hey, next time I decided to tear something out like that, I GUARANTEE there won't be a flood involved..
Monday, April 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I don't know if you ever saw this:
http://133gardner.blogspot.com/2008/01/home-owner-aptitude-test-2-d.html but Lee's got some doozies too.
Post a Comment