Tuesday, May 13, 2008

It's good. Different, but good.

This whole blogging experience has brought a new dimension to my life - and now even to Ann's. Sometimes I read her entries and think "wow, she never says THAT stuff to me!"
I sat here and thought for a few minutes about how exactly to explain what I mean here. What started me writing this post was the thought that I love being able to jot things down to friends and family, and that I'm a bit more free with what I write than what I would say, generally.
But some other thoughts occurred to me..
Technology. If you had asked me about this back in, say, college, I would have told you that I would prefer to be out in the woods or mountains somewhere, disconnected, with a case of beer and some good friends to share it. That would be "what makes me happy" or at least it would have pointed to the fact that I'm just more of an outdoors person as opposed to a TV junkie or computer guy.
But, BUT... it's a different world now. I was just discussing this very point with my uncle Jim last night and I almost felt like I was defending (clearly this was not the case, but wait, I'm making a point) my use of technology and how much I enjoy some of it. I mean, wasn't I supposed to be nature boy?
Take iPods. Love mine. Would prefer not to live without it. I mean, how else can I listen to 60 minutes on the way to work?
Cell phones. Yeah, like you would give YOURS up. Huh?
And computers, now we're getting somewhere. It's the computer that has really done it. It's made us all closer. Maybe even too close (try google-mapping your own street address and see if you're not freaked out) Either way, we know more about the world we live in, the people we know and don't know. We see news instantly and often.
No matter HOW we communicate, we can do it easier than ever. Sure we never scribe letters to each other anymore (try it sometime, your hand will be DYING in 5 minutes!!!!) and writing out greeting cards is like having your wisdom teeth chipped out sans painkillers. And I think for the most part we're better for it. I can keep up with all sorts of relatives that have drifted off the radar in recent years. (Hey Swynfords, drop me a comment if you're reading!)
You get the point, I hope.
I took a break halfway through here to watch the first 10 minutes of the Daily Show, so I'm ready for bed. The only question that remains.....running in the morning? Come to think of it, looks like a swim training day tomorrow. I have to leave for Arlington Heights at 6:30 am to make it to some training at 9, I don't think I'll be doing much before that except clutching a coffee cup and getting Addie her soy milk.
I'm rambling... nighty night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the Swynfords are reading. Always enjoy the entries.

ctadhankins said...

HEY! There you are. David told me you guys were visiting... good to know! Looking forward to getting together with you guys at some point, the kids would have a blast, not to mention the adults... ;-)

Anonymous said...

David Swynford - Ok, ok I’ll stop lurking - but i can't promise that Kristin will! Really great points and I get the whole nature boy routine - I've always thought of you that way and certainly your ode to snow of a few months back - well after I discounted rampant drug use, heavy alcohol abuse or mild retardation, your views only strengthened that perception in my mind. Sometimes I want to 'get away' as well - leave the technology at home on vacation, etc., but in reality it's made our lives so much better that I can't imagine not having it. I sometimes wonder whether we've sacrificed some of our collective societal 'depth' in return for the plethora of options and data that comes our way. Then I shut up and go back to watching youtube. Keep the blog(s) up - they're great. Maybe we can coax Kristin out onto the internets if we're lucky. -david

Megz said...

Holy crap, David.
You might be wordier than I.

:)