Thursday, June 12, 2008

Good thing I like my car...

Work has swallowed me whole this week - I'm filling in for our director of photography while he's on vacation, so I've relocated to the main office in Arlington Heights all week to essentially "run" the photo department. It's been an interesting change of pace, and it's slightly different brand of fun than I normally have in Elgin, but the commute is really getting old.
Most days, it takes me 55 minutes to get to work from home, but AH is roughly 16 miles further, and into the teeth of the traffic monster on weekdays. So, since I need to be there at 8:30 to prepare for the morning budget meeting, that means I have to allow for (worst case scenario) 2 hrs to get into work including any possible traffic backups. Ugh.
Not even satellite radio or my iPod keeps my ass happy for the that long in the morning. And by the time I pass Elgin, (and let out a sigh that I could have already been at work normally) I really have to pee and I'm out of coffee. So the last 30-45 minutes of bumper-to-bumper traffic are either spent reaching for an empty coffee mug or tapping my feet hoping I can hold back the deluge... (i proved to myself months ago that one can, in an emergency, put it back into the coffee cup if you really have to...) Suffice it to say that mug is no longer in service.
Anyway, work has been busy, very busy. And mostly good - but it's draining me from all angles.
I have not had a single workout since the triathlon because I simply don't have time in the morning with my 6:30 am departure time. Now, i was used to gettin' up early, but rising and shining at 4 am just to workout is where I draw the line. Screw that noise....
And to boot, the girls have been telling me each day how much they miss me in the mornings.
Clare asked me yesterday "Dad, when is Jeff getting back?"
They're all looking forward to having my schedule back to normal next week. Me too.
A quick aside, then I'm off to bed...
Ann shocked the hell out of me yesterday by declaring that she wants to race in the Reeds Lake Triathlon in September. I had seriously been thinking about trying to convince her to do one this year with me, as it would be so much fun to have someone to train with occasionally. I'm really excited about her doing that one in particular since it's my hometown, and is a longer race than the Rockman last weekend. I still kinda feel like there's a bit more to prove to myself this year in terms of conditioning...
Anyway, looking forward to a low-key weekend here, the first round of golf this season, and hopefully no more freakin' rain. But hey, it could be MUCH worse.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I SO feel your commuting pain. This morning with all of the flooding and hwy closures on top of 3 major accidents it took me 3 hours to get to Madison! I was cursing the empty coffee cup! :)

I haven't yet told you congrats on your tri! It's awesome!! And, good luck in September!