Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Coffee experiment, Prt II
(blech.....)

The backstory- I needed 2 coffee cans (we're talking old-school, metal cans) to make a game called "washers" for our Redneck Games party in Roscoe this weekend. But that's another story.
I came home with 2 giant containers of lo-budget coffee, thinking I would probably just dump it all into a ziploc bag and pawn it off on somebody that was missing taste buds.
I had forgotten, however, that we were in fact OUT of coffee for our morning pot at home. This usually consists of either Pike Place blend from Starbucks, or some other internationally-picked flavor of theirs. It was disappointing to realize that, at least for this morning, we would be drinking Hills Bros.
I was game, and so was Ann. After all, it's a helluva lot cheaper. $7-8 bucks for basically a bucket of grounds, whereas the good stuff is about $8 for a (comparitively) little bag.
Hey, what if it tastes ok? I mean, that would save us some cash each month not investing in the health care plans of baristas at Starbucks. And the plan actually worked.
Until I got to the aftertaste, about halfway to Elgin.
The sad part is, it really wasn't that bad while I was drinking it... but once I ran out of coffee and didn't have anything else to wash it down, I was left with the distinct feeling that I had chewed on an aluminum can for 15 minutes.
Nasty. I can still taste it now, roughly 2 hours later. 
Now that's something that could only be made worse by a McRib for lunch.

No comments: