Thursday, August 28, 2008

One last dip

One of our favorite summer activities came to a close last night as we went to the Ledges pool for the final time this year. They don't officially close until Labor Day, but since we'll be in Door County we made sure to get up there last night when it was still warm enough to swim in the evening. Ann abstained, but I had a blast with the girls - we hit the diving board, the slide, Addie gave her new "dolly of diversity" a few rides d
own the slide and into the diving well. Clare and I spent some time diving for her torpedo (which somehow always ends up in the bottom of the diving well, and I have to go down and get it while my ears implode from the pressure) There were 2 other kids in the pool for the first few minutes we were there, and then we had the whole place to ourselves as the 3 lifeguards were thoroughly entertained by Addie's antics on the diving board. That kid LOVES the diving board. A few weeks ago, she started asking to jump off it, and we said sure only because she wears her life vest all the time. Given her aptitude for swallowing water on the slide, we figured she wouldn't like jumping into the deep end. 
Think again.
Sure, she hasn't learned yet how to hold her breath, or at the least breathe out while going under water, but that doesn't stop her from jumping off again and
 again, each time surfacing with a cough and a really loud, rip-roaring belch from the water she just ingested. Once you realize she's not going to choke and drown, it's pure comedy - and the lifeguards were cracking up. She's just a maniac in the pool - when she learns to swim as well as Clare, it will be really interesting to see how she does (or WHAT she does) on the diving board. She'll probably graduate to flips off the thing next summer - I mean, who wouldn't want to be just like daddy, right? I finished off the swimming season with a big 'ol front flip, graceful as ever with my 1/3 twist or something like that. I'm never quite sure which end will hit the water first - I just bank on the worst case scenario that I'll smack myself silly and the pain will go away quickly.
We polished off the night with a fast-food run (nothing makes you want to eat greasy foods more than a trip to the swimming pool) so it was a fun night. The girls went to bed fairly well, although we're still not hitting our target of being asleep around 8:30.
After that we plopped down to watch the DNC and Joe Biden's speech to the convention.
I could fill page upon page here with my reactions to the speeches and thoughts about the election - but alas, I have to self-censor. I'll just say I'm looking forward to seeing how tonight goes at Mile High Stadium.
And I'm glad that I'm a conscientious voter at this time in history.
This week has been a pretty busy one, so I apologize for lapsing in my promise to provide photobombing entertainment - happy Thursday!

1 comment:

Megz said...

I have seriously lapsed on reading your blog the last few weeks...and now I demand to know, what in thu hell (in King of the Hill voice) is "photobombing"???

Hysterical description of Addie...especially the belching up of water part.
So Addie!!!