I wasn't sure how this past weekend would go, as we prepared to say goodbye to Ann's grandmother. With some concentrated efforts on hosting many people at our house, and trying to erase the memory of a nasty Friday at work, I just went on auto-pilot as we made our way through visitation Sunday evening and the funeral service Monday.
I, like many other Sunday was moved quite a bit by the memorial video produced about Dorothy's life. Like any other grandson-in-law, I wasn't around for the glory days and only knew Dorothy as an 80+ grandmother who loved to talk until you were ready to pass out!
But what I had failed to notice was the effect she had on my daughters.
They loved visiting grandma Dorothy, and especially loved attending all of the parties held at Pioneer Court. I even attended one myself this year - a 50's party featuring all sorts of good food, oldies music and poodle skirts.
The girls always loved the games played at the parties, and usually ended up being the stars of the show when it came time to hit the dance floor.
As you might imagine, there were plenty of questions from both Clare and Addie (a few more from Addie, our grand inquisitor) about where grandma Dorothy is now that she's in heaven. Or why she's still at the funeral home when we told her that she was already in heaven.
But they also got the idea to give Dorothy something to take with her to heaven.
I honestly didn't plan on shedding any tears this weekend... but this was too much.
As we stood next to Dorothy's casket, Clare placed her "Dorothy the Dinosaur" stuffed animal tucked next to Dorothy's arm.
Addie tucked in a small pink (she knew that was Dorothy's favorite color) stuffed bear alongside her as well.
Added was also a color photograph of all 4 great-grandkids that was placed in a drawer that was built into the lid of the casket (nice idea).
It was right then that I realized that Dorothy meant so much to Clare and Addie, and I'm sure it was the other way around. Dorothy had several years to get to know them, and that will be something the girls will always have in their memory.
She really touched the girls, so she did end up touching me more than I thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment