Wednesday, December 10, 2008

He moves in mysterious ways

I've never been the kneeling-by-the-bedside type.
In fact, usually my prayers are sent up from the front seat of my car or other random places. Like the shower this morning.
Included in there was a prayer for "patience" in dealing with all the changes taking place and the struggles of working in a dying industry.
I got on with my day, hustling Clare to school (Ann had an early meeting today) and taking Addie up to the Y, then making a stop at the DMV to get my long-expired plates renewed. Then I hit the tollway.
I surfed through a few channels on the satellite radio, not really locking into any one particular thing. A song from Soundgarden came on and I got the urge to really crank it up and let some angst out as I drove into Elgin. I switched over to the iPod (which sounds quite a bit better than the satellite, and goes WAY louder) and fired up the list of Soundgarden songs on there. 
As I was listening, singing, pounding the steering wheel I got the urge to search for something else to really take it up a notch. I figured Rage Against the Machine might work, but I wasn't THAT pissed off... something else... hmmmm.. what to pick....
As I scrolled the click wheel around I found myself coming to rest on The Verve, and without even really much thought I chose Lucky Man. It wasn't even close to what I thought I had in mind, quite a mellow tune really.
It just seemed like a better choice. After all, it's true. I have a million things to be thankful for.

Happiness
More or less
It's just a change in me
Something in my liberty
Oh, my, my
Happiness
Coming and going
I watch you look at me
Watch my fever growing
I know just where I am

But how many corners do I have to turn?
How many times do I have to learn
All the love I have is in my mind?

Well I'm a lucky man
With fire in my hands

No comments: