Monday, July 27, 2009

When life is good

There are a few things in life that happen when I find myself thinking "you know, life is pretty good." Some of these things happen more frequently than others, and you could argue that some are more profound than others as well.
As I was thinking about this very subject this morning, one of the places I used to feel like this as a kid (albeit with a smaller world view and not really having any idea of life's potential at that point) was sitting in the back of my dad's boat, bobbing around in the waves on Lake Michigan. With the smell of the 65-horse Johnson wafting around, the sound of the waves mixed with the sound of the motor, watching the rod tips as they bent toward the water just waiting for a king salmon to hit.
Stuff like that. A happy place.
Another moment happened Saturday at Alpine Valley Music Theater. There's just something about the music. A very personal connection, especially when you're outside on a beautiful (mostly) night on the lawn, with the music you love washing over you. It gets me right where it counts. Goosebumps, the works. Somehow it makes everything ok. All the crap you endure during the week, all the things you worry about and then realize it's not worth it. I find myself taking stock of what matters. My family, especially the girls. Good friends, great times together, all of us there for the purpose of hearing that music. (the 4-hour tailgater is fun too!)
And it certainly doesn't hurt when Chris Martin and Coldplay put on a fantastic show. I didn't think it was possible to enjoy the show from under the damp protection of our blanket, but it was such a great time that even that part was fun.
Not every show I see does this for me - Dave Matthews for instance last summer. It was a great time, but I don't have that same connection with the music. Maybe it's that I listen to more U2 and Coldplay on my iPod. Maybe it's because their music coincides with lots of other great experiences in my life. Who knows.
I don't have any misconceptions that this isn't a bit cheesy - but like I said, it's personal. It's one of those things I think I should make of point of putting on the calendar each year. One of the things that really puts me in my happy place.
Which means I'm really looking forward to U2 @ Soldier Field in September...

No comments: