Confessions of a U2 junkie
Nearly 48 hours removed from the opening U2 show at Soldier Field Saturday, I'm getting around to comparing it to other shows in my head and summing it all up for myself. Yesterday morning as we sat and ate breakfast on the city's north side, I was kinda numb about the whole thing. The show itself was such a sensory overload, of the greatest kind. It was just a whirlwind of a day - including the last minute addition of Steve to our show-going lineup! I was so glad he was able to make it last minute. We say Coldplay earlier this summer with Steve and Karen, so we made it 2 for 2 with Steve for big concerts this summer! Sadly our first Vern replacement wasn't able to make it due to a car crash earlier in the weekend - hoping her recovery is speedy and that she gets her wish soon to see U2 for the first time. Enjoy the photos and video, Angela!
So, about the show. I was not getting too wrapped up in wishing that they would play this song or that song, only that I had the same kind of feeling I did when I saw them in 2005. To be fair, the bar was raised so high that night at the United Center that it's likely no show will ever compare in the future. Vern and I got randomly selected to get inside the ellipse for the Vertigo show, with a vantage point that cannot be beat. Most of the time we were within 30 feet of the band, and even closer as they walked around the ellipse throughout the show. So anytime I can't see them that close while they play, it's kind of a letdown. Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised when we walked up to the 200 level at Soldier Field Saturday night, to see the massive stage setup basically right in front of us and Snow Patrol warming the crowd up with their music. Their sound was a perfect fit for the stadium atmosphere, with soaring, driving guitar and piano riffs and vocals. Clearly I'm no music critic, but I thought they sounded great.
Anyway, our seats were pretty good, all things considered. I kept thinking about the credit card fiasco that cost me the GA tickets, and part of me really wished I was down in the fracas with Meg and Gabby. Lord knows I wouldn't need a seat all night, so that aspect of it didn't bother me in the least. But our seats in section 254 were pretty sweet as it were, only about 30 steps from a beer vendor and some bathrooms. AND, as it turned out, very close to the exit ramp on the north end of the stadium which made our night a bit easier on the back end. (Ask Meg about HER experience getting out of there) Plus, being able to take in the scene of the whole stadium was pretty cool, especially when they flooded the place with a disco ball from the very top of the spire above the stage during With or Without You. It was crazy. Edge's guitar was filling the entire place as lights swirled over everyone. The gigantic spaceship they called a stage constantly changed color and shape, with the circular video screen expanded and lowering near the stage for different songs. But I kept waiting for that moment when it would be too much to handle. A rush of emotion, like when they played One back in 2005. The kind of feeling that the lead singer of Snow Patrol described after watching the band play that same song on a stop in Poland earlier this summer. (see link on FB)
But I never quite got there Saturday night. Almost, but not quite.
Maybe I was more inebriated last time around. Maybe it's because homey wasn't there. Who knows. Maybe I'm just a bit older and my obsession isn't what it used to be?
Now that I'm thinking about it and actually writing it out, maybe it's just taking longer to absorb this time. I mean, when I think about hearing them play Bad, or Where the Streets Have No Name, or With or Without You, or I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (yes, the freakin' played that.... sweet, huh?) I just a get a wide grin on my face as I imagine hearing Edge play what Bruce Springsteen called some of the greatest 'sonic architecture' ever played. I always thought that phrase was a great way to describe his guitar sound. I remember in high school someone telling me that he didn't think Edge was one of the greatest guitar players around. I knew he was full of it, I just didn't quite know how to explain why it sounded so great.
And watching Adam roam around the stage, seeing Larry's drum kit being spun around on a turntable so those of us behind the stage could see him play, it was cool stuff.
As for Bono, he always brings his A game. And as he said the other night, when you're playing with those other 3 guys it's hard to exercise humility. And as he also said, when they play together in a giant stadium filled with the electricity of 80,000 fans, anything is possible.
Maybe I DID get there Saturday night and it just felt different. I remember at one point reaching out and putting my arms around Ann and Steve - I wish I could think of what song that was.
It's just such good stuff. Their music occupies such a large corner of my life - it's just good to reconnect with them first-hand every so often. Much like hearing a great preacher on Sunday morning - I am left feeling refreshed.
I'm ready, read for what's next.
Monday, September 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Whoo - - I'm finally caught up with your blogs! So glad that you had fun at the concert and that the duathlon went well - congrats on your finish!! And yes, this summer was SO weird! Can't complain in terms of running weather though, it was pretty temperate to get all my runs in - hoping that October 4th is just as nice while running the marathon!
Post a Comment