Looking back on 2009
As I was putting together my collage on FB tonight for My Year in Pictures, I was stuck for a moment on what to write as the caption for all those photos. I mean, how to you sum it all up in one sentence? You can't.
I first thought of making mention of how brutal 2009 was - because it was, and frankly still is when you think about what's happened to my salary, the people we've lost at work, and even how the state of the profession I once loved so much has changed for the worse.
But I looked at all of the wonderful photos of our family doing all of the things we did in 2009, and it's hard to tell it was that bad. I mean, c'mon. Despite how bad it still seems for us at times, how many people on this planet got to do some of the things I did this past year. Clare, the world's smartest kid, started first grade this year and can't get enough. Addie is growing like a weed and catching up to (or even surpassing) her older sister in some ways. We saw Coldplay at Alpine Valley, despite a rainstorm that had us comically huddled under a tarp protecting our tailgater. We saw U2 at Soldier Field on opening night of their North American tour leg. (I could write volumes on that, suffice it to say it was a mind-blowing show that only reaffirmed my love affair with the band) We had MANY fabulous family trips to Door County and Grand Rapids. Ann completed her second marathon, this time in Atlanta. My buddy Gregg was inspired this year to get into shape, train for a triathlon (sorry about that one Gregg) and ran in a 5k with us on Thanksgiving. We've settled more into our home in the woods, and I love everything about this place. We spent a week in Orlando with great friends, and Indian Rocks Beach with great family. We took several weekend trips to St. Louis.
And our family changed up a bit too.
My dear uncle Jim married Bonnie this fall - ON A BOAT! (you're welcome Ann and Meg)
My dear brother Jon found a very special girl named Katie. (stay tuned)
It's hard to look around and not feel blessed as 2009 winds down. Even now, we're 48 hours away from leaving again, this time for our first New Year's Eve in Door County. And we're only a few weeks away for heading to Breckenridge for a fantastic week of skiing and meeting up with some good old friends. So 2010 looks to resemble this past year a bit - us being on the road.
I remember in college getting a card from my parents - maybe it was a birthday card, I don't really remember the occasion. But it said something like "Happy Birthday to the original 'road warrior' and had a picture of a kid in a toy car or something.
How true that turned out to be.
But more than anything I'm thankful that at the end of the day I have my girls, my wife, my entire family. Here's to a blessed and happy new year.
I hope you find as many joys and adventures in your own lives.
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ann reminded me last night that I left out my trip out to Oregon for skiing with Jon, John, Ross and Corey! That was a fantastic time with those guys - Oregon, from what I saw, was a pretty cool place. And Mt. Bachelor was a great resort - my first time skiing in the pacific northwest.
Amen to all the blessings! What a terrific family you have! We are grateful to be part of it. Continued joy in 2010...
Post a Comment