Feeling the love
Tonight was a great night for Addie and me.
She got to see me excited about something she had done, like never before.
And yes, it involved snow.
After I quickly tackled the process of removing the mower deck from my John Deere and then installing the plow blade for the winter and clearing the driveway of our first decent snow of the year, the girls had already begun to make sled tracks in the front yard.
We still have the hand-me-down toy snowboard from our neighbor across the street, which Clare had some success with last year, but Addie had never really quite figured out.
Well, a year changes a lot when you're 5.
Clare of course took off and made it all the way down the slope of the front yard, and Addie was enjoying herself on the sled with me and her sister. But she wanted to try the snowboard again too, and I figured it would be a banner evening if she made it 10 feet, fell, and didn't cry and stomp into the house in frustration.
Her first trip or two only got her about 10 or 20 feet before falling, but she was determined to try again.. and then all of a sudden she made it the whole way down the yard! Upright!
She looked like she knew what she was doing the whole time. Unbelievable. I won't even bother to compare her with Clare on this one, she was just amazing.
That girl has the balance, coordination and determination to be really good at whatever athletic endeavor she tries. Ann has been telling me that one of the girls at the Y was doing volleyball drills with Addie recently and A was returning just about every shot back to the girl. Crazy.
But the biggest joy was seeing her face tonight, hearing me celebrate out loud in the front yard and hug her like a big marshmallow in her snowsuit. I was so proud of her, like never before. And I could tell she felt it. After the second run I picked her up and gave her a huge hug.. and when i let her back down she took off and just ran.
She ran what I can only describe as a victory lap around in the snow through the front yard, the red taillights on her snow boots flashing as she went.
It was SO much fun. I need more of that with Addie, for lots of reasons.
Big sister is storming into life and succeeding at just about every turn.
But for Addie to break through with something like this, so close to her daddy's heart on the frozen slopes, was just fantastic.
Looks like I will have another partner up north this winter.
This proud daddy is going to bed very happy tonight, knowing his youngest daughter is having some sweet dreams down the hall.
1 comment:
Love it! We're going to take the kids skiing for the 1st time after Christmas. Can't wait.
Post a Comment