Into the swing of it
I'm a couple weeks into actual training for the 70.3 ironman race this summer, and I thought I would take a moment to say that I'm no longer totally freaking out.
While I have no illusions that race day will be without suffering, I'm comfortable in my thought process now. I don't get butterflies every time I think about it.
Admittedly I'm still in the early stages of the build up to be ready for this thing, I've proven a couple of things to myself so far that have me encouraged about the end result.
One, I've had a few good swims in the pool where I felt like I could have kept going for a while longer, which leads me to the realization that being in Lake Michigan for 1.2 miles won't kill me. It might get tedious, but I'll live to tell about it. Plus, I'm excited to see how the added buoyancy of a wetsuit will help on race day.
I've also had some good longer runs, and the baseline work in that department over the winter has clearly paid off. Last Sunday I headed out and ran over 7 miles with no real stress involved. That made me VERY happy, to think that right now I could go much further without too much strain.
Granted, eventually I have to string all these things together, but like I said it's early.
I am definitely anxious to get out more for some rides - the trainer is becoming something I don't look forward to, which is funny because I used to view the bike as the 'happy place'.
But spinning on that thing with little or no air movement in my family room isn't happy at all. It's a sweat fest, and it's getting uglier as I need to spend 1:15 plus on there each time.
Brutal.
Anyway, it's all going pretty well, and I'm adjusting to the schedule of it all - which so far has honestly been the biggest hurdle. Carving out the time to put the workouts in is proving to be equally as tricky, especially on the days I need to double up on the workouts.
I'm just glad some of the mental jitters have subsided. I'm sure I'll have plenty of them in the week leading up to race day, so for now I'll enjoy just putting my time in and watching the endurance creep up and up.
1 comment:
It is said that you only grow by moving beyond your comfort zone....boy you are taking this principle seriously...really seriously. It's impressive. Bless you and your solid can-do attitude. Take care of yourself. Be well. You will succeed. You always do.
Post a Comment