Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Relay Wrap





So we completed the Ragnar Relay from Olin Park in Madison to Montrose Harbor in Chicago. Although the heat took it's toll on us in a big way, I think we managed things pretty well and got each other through the really long stretches.
The first leg was probably the worst for me, since I expected more out of myself and TOTALLY underestimated the toll the heat would take on me. I wanted to put in a good time for our lead-off leg, and started out with too fast a pace to sustain for the first 4-5 miles. By the time I got to exchange #1, I was fried. But I had 4+ more to go - so I alternated between running and walking (always running when the team van was in sight) And having them leapfrog me for water refills helped a bunch too.
As I mentioned previously, the night leg was a blast. I kinda figured it would be an adventure to run along a dark bike path at night, but it was FAR more fun than I imagined. I glanced down at the Garmin watch occasionally to note how far I was into the leg, and to know when to expect a light in the distance signaling an exchange coming up.
And since we split the last legs up, the third section of the race wasn't as brutal as is could have been. My last leg was originally going to be just over 10 miles, but I ended up running 2 legs of 4.2 and 5.2.
Almost the same mileage, but having to run them several hours apart helped a ton in the heat on Saturday. And I got lucky - some of my teammates had runs of 6-7 miles on wide open bike trails under that sun. It was brutal.
But we crossed the finish line together in the sand in Chicago to a cheering crowd, a couple beers and some room-temperature pizza.. what we all really needed was a long nap! It was a great experience with what I'm sure will be long-term running friends.
And what blog would be complete without a list? So here you go.. things I will remember most from Ragnar 2012:

* Jesse uttering "It's rough out there" about 35 times.
* The way Kevin was absolutely itching to get out and run in the heat.
* Seeing Lisa tear through the first exchange without even slowing down for water.
* Seeing the lights on Dave's vest coming at us in the dark, knowing it was my turn to run into the woods at night!
* The feeling of relief I got each time I saw Ken waiting for me in the exchange.
* Gritting through the knee pain and finishing my third leg strong in Racine, while enjoying memories of the 70.3 race in that same part of the world a year earlier.
* The utter joy of running I experienced while running the Glacial Drumlin Trail with only a headlamp to light the way.

Many of us on the Party Rockin' teams are training for marathons in October, so I'll have plenty of running partners this summer to help get ready for Twin Cities on October 7.
After that? I'm setting my sights on Hood to Coast 2013 - the mother of all relays.
This relay business has me psyched to do it again!

1 comment:

Margi said...

This running bug's got you, but more impressively, YOU'VE got a great hold on IT:)
So fun to read about and be inside your head.
Way to go, Chris. Another goal set and completed.