
The Birds Won
At least that's how Clare sees it anyway. This morning she told me all about how it didn't rain at the game the other night (referencing the rain delay that forced another round-trip drive to St. Louis the next day) and that she knew my team didn't win. "The birds won dad"... yeah, thanks honey.
But it was a fantastic experience, even though it still seems like a weird dream with all the driving and waiting on the weather to cooperate. The rain cleared out an hour or two before Game 5, and thankfully just as I was getting back to St. Louis that night. There was a stiff 30-mph wind most of the night, but our seats in the upper deck down the left-field line were sheltered from it. I took pleasure in being one of the very few Tigers fans in attendance, and I really thought a few times that we were going to send everyone home quietly and take the series back to Detroit. But it was clearly the Cardinals series this year, our pitching did not live up to the ALDS and ALCS performances, and we couldn't generate enough runs to keep the Cards at bay.
But many, many beers were consumed and Jim and I had a great time. It was fun to see all the St. Louis fans celebrate. I even got interviewed by a crew from WZZM, a Grand Rapids television station outside Busch after the game... not sure if that ever made it to air or not, but Jim thought I was pretty intelligible all things considered that night.
Anyway, here are a few pictures from the game, as well as one from the rainout night where I met some fellow Detroit fans who had flown in for the game. Not sure if they made it back for the makeup game, I hope so!
1 comment:
The World Series really made me mad. I don't think the Cards won it so much as the Tigers errored it away. When you consider how many of the Cards runs were unearned, the Tigers' pitching really wasn't that bad. Did the Cards even hit over .200 for the series as a team?
Anyway, did you do the round trip to STL two days in a row? That's crazy!
Post a Comment