Monday, October 01, 2007

It was THIS close...

Well, the Spartans gave the Badgers all they could handle Saturday in Madison, but it just wasn't enough. But you can bet that everyone in red at Camp Randall Stadium Saturday was crapping themselves when we had it at midfield with 1 minute to go on 4th and 2. After the back and forth scoring all day long, losing by only 3 points to a ranked team in their stadium with a hostile crowd wasn't all that bad.
As a matter of fact, Ann and I had a total blast going from tailgate to tailgate with random Spartan fans that we met along the way, and even a guy I knew from the basketball "league" whom we tailgated with in front of a dumpster.. that was a highlight..
I'll put pictures up tonight, that will tell the story much better.
But we did encounter some rotten apples in the Wisconsin student ranks. We hadn't been in town more than 10 minutes when some kid spotted my State flag on the car and yelled "Awww, FUCK YOU!" as I drove past. Now that's class. We hadn't even parked yet.. welcome to Madison I guess. The majority of fans we ran into were completely hospitable, but it was clear that students just aren't mature enough to handle a good rivalry and have some fun with it.
I doubt that students will ever stop being so infantile and rude, especially when fueled by booze. Ahhh well.

3 comments:

smoothdave said...

Like anyplace, the majority of their fans are great, Wisconsin has by far the highest % of drunken asshole fans that I have encountered anywhere. My brother Andrew once had his life threatened in the bathroom at Camp Randall by a cammo-wearing Badger fan *while he was peeing*. I, personally, have been yelled at in much the same manner as you describe many times. Because of all that, I am truly sorry the Spartans couldn't pull it off.

ctadhankins said...

Yeah, a win that day would have been extra special. Although I probably would have needed to buy a red shirt to get out of town on foot after my car (with MSU 94 plates) would have been firebombed.

Megz said...

Next time wear your Appalachian State t-shirt...you woulda been money.