My Mom
Sometimes I do my best thinking between 8 and 9 am each morning, between Roscoe and Elgin. Such was the case this morning as I jotted down a bunch of things on paper that needed to get done at work today. I also tend to be more introspective on those trips, and it tends to directly correlate to the amount of U2 I listen to in the car. Again, such was the case this morning.
I may not be the in-depth conversationalist that my siblings are, nobody ever accused me of not keeping the conversation light in my family. So it's worth stating for the world to see something that I was thinking this morning, while I'm still in that zone.
"Listen to me now, I need to let you know, you don't have to go it alone..
.. sometimes you can't make it on your own.
... you and I... we're the same soul.
I know that we don't talk, can you hear me when I sing? You're the reason I sing. You're the reason the opera is in me. Hey now, still gotta let you know....
sometimes you can't make it on your own." - from "Sometimes you can't make it on your own"
I'm thankful for lots of things, but a big one is the inspiration that my mom has been to me. Yes, for teaching me how music can be an outlet for lots of things. But also for being my #1 fan. My biggest cheerleader. Everyone needs one of those. More than one if possible. My mom has always been right behind me making sure that I know someone cares about all my successes, as well as the failures.
At times it's been more like a good friend relationship than mother-son, and that can be good AND bad. It's hard to convince your friend that you haven't been out drinking with your high school buddies. But it's great to have someone who really, honestly wants to hear from you no matter what it's about.
Now that I see myself impacting two little girls in my house, these are the things I hope for.
I also hope that U2 keeps touring long enough for me to take Clare and Addie to a show. Now if only Hannah Montana would open for them, it would be a much easier sell job.
Now, about that list of things to do today... one is already marked off now.
Friday, February 08, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Two things I'm certain of:
1. You're a lot better at expressing your thoughts than you give yourself credit for, and I knew that before reading this post.
2. You may not be a whole lot like Jonathan in this area, but you're the one who gave me a much needed sense of security and calm growing up around him...:)
Here's to introspection.
Post a Comment