Thursday, March 06, 2008

It must be March

The Spartans are playing good ball again. Their road game at Illinois should be a good test tonight. They've been pretty awful away from Breslin this year, but a good, solid dismantling of the Illini should make things lots better.
At least this one will be broadcast on ESPN2. I had a chat with a guy from Charter Communications this morning (our cable and isp) and he tells me that the Big Ten Network is really the reason why we're all getting hosed on the games not being shown. Since it's physically impossible for me to order satellite service where we live in the woods, I'm stuck with Charter. And they won't provide the Big Ten Network because the BTN is trying to rape the cable companies that want to provide the channel. They essentially want to charge the company $1 for every customer that they have subscribed, hiking the cost way up. Rather than having the option to subscribe to an additional "tier" of channels which could include the BTN. I already subscribe to an HD tier, and recently cancelled the extra sports tier because it was total garbage programming, nothing worth watching. But I told the guy that I would be happy to pay the extra $5 again if it included the BTN. But that network essentially has worked out a deal with the Big Ten (and sent them tons of $$$) to ensure that the vast majority of Big Ten games only get shown on BTN. What crap. Many of those games would have been shown on fringe ESPN channels or others if the BTN had not been created.
Oh well. Let's hope they go under soon (sounds like no other cable companies are buying into it either) so we can get some of those games back.
Then again, I'll have my ass planted at Buffalo Wild Wings for a few days when the tournament starts, so what do I care what's on my TV?

No comments: