Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I don't even want to go there

So I'm sitting here in Starbucks in Belvidere, site of the newly-formed Sunday morning coffee group, doing some work uploading pictures back to the Daily Herald.
Then this teenage girl walks in, drops off her job app, gets back in the car and then proceeds to get back out with what appears to be her boyfriend, the driver. Then they spend a few minutes goofing around shooting cell phone pictures of themselves outside the car, and it dawns on me...
Clare and Addie will eventually be riding about in automobiles driven by teenage boys.
I won't lie, the thought scares the living shit out of me. I've always focused my thoughts of the future on making sure that the boys they date treat them right and not try "anything funny". But the thought of the them riding around with teenage boys (and BELIEVE me, I KNOW how THEY drive) makes me nervous beyond comprehension.
I would rather see them hope behind the wheel themselves and drive to freakin' California by themselves than ride with testosterone-fueled boys around Roscoe.
Maybe Illinois will pass a new law stating that members of the opposite sex cannot ride together until they're 21 when they can make clearer decisions about driving. Is that too much to ask?
And if you think that I change into a completely different person when I see somebody throw trash out of their car, just WAIT until I hear about some boy driving recklessly with one of the girls. God help them. And me.
Oh my, and they're only 5 and 2. It's gonna be a long next 15 years....
BTW - this new Pike Place blend is quite nice.

5 comments:

Murphy said...

That's funny, because Lee and I saw this teenage boy ALL OVER this teenage girl at the Brick Cafe. I thought "OMG... not with MY daughter. Keep your grubby hands OFF."

Then walking around one of my Middle Schools today, where you can SMELL the hormones, I saw all these young guys on the verge of becoming predatory toward girls. Actually, some of these guys looked like 17 year old 8th graders, and were well into their scheming/plotting years.

ctadhankins said...

Yikes. Of all the schools we shoot pictures in, middle schools are the worst. It's like all of their synapses are misfiring randomly..
It was a rough day today, work stunk. But a trip to the bike shop never fails to cure a few ills
;-)

Jennifer said...

Believe me - the drive to Cali, by yourself is WAY better than Roscoe boys...encourage the cali drive, and if you need help with that, call me! (I'm a little bitter today, can you tell?)

ctadhankins said...

did a roscoe boy do you wrong, Jen? who is he? where does he live? i'll take care of it... better yet, get Bruce on the case. ;-)

Megz said...

I'm sure your apprehensions are more than normal.
Perhaps they'll get so much experience with Benjamin and Jonathan driving about that you'll feel that much better about it all...however, I might not expect too much from Jonathan.
Kid's hell on wheels already.