Other people in cars
I had a thought the other day. As I sat at a stop light in Elgin, watching various people in various cars drive by, with various looks on their faces, it dawned on me.
Every time I think about a certain issue, whether it's political, social, whatever, I often wonder why we all can't come to a consensus about that issue and make a difference. For instance, everyone feels the same way I do about the environment, right? I mean, conserving energy and recycling are the right things to do, right?
Wrong. At least to some people. I won't dwell on this one, it's too near and dear to my heart. I have an extreme lack of understanding about those who don't see our environment as a priority. Sorry.....
Just take a look around you next time you're in public. Can you imagine all those different people and what their individual stances must be on all the things that matter to you? It blew my mind to start thinking about it. Every time I start to feel like there's a chance we can just convince a bunch of people to think the same way we do about a certain topic, I realize just how utterly impossible that is.
Now, having said that, I'm not a proponent of keeping all of this under wraps either.
Certain things in my life would be easily shared with those who ask about them, or perhaps even some that I just thought would take an interest. OK, I might try to convince a few people. But you get my point.
I just thought it was an interesting revelation. Next time you see "that crazy guy in the beat-up car that looks like he's escaped from somewhere" driving next to you on the road, just imagine trying to convince HIM of something.
And then you can cross your fingers and hope he doesn't vote republican.... ;-)
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Here here!
I agree with all of it - from your first comment about recycling to your last about the ills of voting republican... :)
But yes, it is very overwhelming, and at times frustrating, to know that there are people out there that may, and do, stand on the completely opposite side of the fence when it comes to certain issues.
p.s. This is Brian and Meg's friend, Dina - you know, from "Mark and Dina." :)
I was just going to chime in with a "you can bet yer sweet ass his ignorant self IS going to vote Republican"...but then realized that would somehow conflict with my own political values of tolerance and openmindedness.
I will, however, tell you this. After working at Disney World...the happiest place on Earth...I have more than enough reason to have completely lost all hope in mankind.
But I think we're on our way...some just take longer than others, and it's almost always their own life circumstance/upbringing that inhibits their ability to change.
That being said, here's to continuing to hope for transformation.
And shorter stoplights.
Post a Comment