Big A - Menace, Screamer and Sweetheart
Addie is 2.
That should be enough to explain the headline, but I'll go on. Lately, Addie has run our house. The mood around our house ebbs and flows with her emotions. Either we're existing peacefully as family and are (Ann and I anyway) allowed to eat meals in peace; or.... Addie is once again mixing it up with her big sister, likely over a toy, brush, deck of cards, tv show, article of clothing or even a simple gesture. I gotta tell ya, it's getting old. I really thought Ann might end up in tears this morning after Addie had wandered into Clare's room again and managed to agitate her sister. The agitated sister fights back saying something to the effect of "hey, that's mine" (whether she actually cares about that item the minute before Addie takes it is a point that is completely lost on Clare). Then Addie takes issue with Clare's refusal to share and all holy hell breaks loose. This morning the light fixture nearly came loose on my in the shower as I heard Addie rev up her vocal chords in displeasure.
Remember the scene in Dumb and Dumber when Lloyd asks Harry if he's ever heard the most annoying sound in the universe? This is worse for me.
So, Addie is EVERY BIT of 2 years old. And she seems to be operating in her own little world (can't blame her for that one I guess). But it's definitely the issue of the day around our house. Keeping Addie happy. She's not quite old enough to let our words sink in, although she's getting there. And any sort of physical discipline with Addie only results in more crying, hysterics and eventually a nebulizer treatment when she starts wheezing.
(sigh......)
She's cute as a button, and one of the loves of my life.
Sometimes, however, I would very much like to toss her a sippy of milk, lock the doors and walk away.
With ear plugs in.
In the next installment...
Part 2: The not-so-innocent older sister
Thursday, April 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I have to say, I did laugh out loud at this - not at your pain and suffering of course, but you know, it's a little bit funny to a women with no kids :)
Talk to my parents about this - because they have experienced a great deal of pain and suffering from fighting siblings (and just an FYI, I WAS the not so innocent older sibling :) ).
Have a great day!!
Hey, if you really want, I can help you relive some of those childhood moments with a babysitting offer! Just say the word!
I can handle the babysitting - not a problem as long as I can give them back :)
We've seen the Addie show up close. It was funny. BUT we were spectators, and I'm sure it's VEEERRRRY wearing day after day.
Post a Comment