A great weekend on all fronts here - we swam at the pool both days, got a little sunburned, Ann did what hopefully will be the last of her shopping extravaganzas. Now granted, I'll never hold a grudge against my wife just because she lost so much weight that she's having to replace her whole wardrobe. But.... clueless boy here didn't really realize that's what she was doing until about the 9th trip to New York and Co. Geez, Hankins, I guess when your clothes don't fit anymore, YOU HAVE TO BUY NEW ONES!
Ann is in the final planning stage of her trip to NYC with her girlfriends. She's party anxious and part neurotic, I think she's got a bit of Carrie Bradshaw disease... hoping that all of their adventures in the city play out like a Sex and the City episode. I'm sure the wonder trio will have a great time.. how can you not with great food, drinks and no kids! I suppose the only thing to worry her is that I'm watching the kids back here... but in the spirit of full disclosure I'm getting help (not necessary, mind you, just nice) from Karen and Jock until Friday and then my parents overlapping and hanging out until Sunday or Monday...
The legs? Yeah, I did my first double of the season my riding 16 miles yesterday on my normal hilly route, then 18 today out west of town and back, much flatter (for the most part) and it was a good change of scenery. Sometime between now and Friday night I'm just gonna start sitting on my ass to save energy for Saturday's triathlon. I've had several different thoughts running through my head about all this (makes it sound like a lot, huh? that's the idea) training this spring... 1) it's been nice to have a target date to shoot for, knowing i needed to be in shape. 2) I've had so much stuff to do around the house, my time would have been better spent working on projects
Honestly though, I really do enjoy the workout times, it's just that it will be nice when i can go out and ride for a while and not worry about making it a training ride. It would also be nice to hook up with some friends occasionally to help break up the monotony of riding with my head aimed at the pavement for nearly an hour. And I enjoy the occasional run, but that discipline is not perfectly suited for bad back and bean-pole frame. Swimming is fun, just much MORE fun with the kids at the pool as opposed to 5:30 am with some twerp as a lifeguard. And then there's the old ladies... nevermind.
It will be a week/weekend of fun and adventures as all the family descends on the house while Ann is gone...
I will be thinking often of our friends Chris and Lee as they prepare to leave for Ethiopia Saturday where they will be adopting two beautiful children - there are so many things that I can't even get my head around, it must be a whirlwind for them. There adoption blog is linked on here, take a peek if you can.
Ann and i were able to wrap up the weekend with a great steak dinner and glass of wine, making the end of the weekend just right. Adieu my faithful readers, and by that I mean all 5 of you. Here's hoping you had good weekends too, and that God is smiling on you as well.
;-)
1 comment:
Ahh...nothing beats a 5 am swim with sleepy lifeguards, old ladies and freezing water - I can't imagine anything better than that :) Yet another reason why I love running!! (although truth be told, I'm missing the pool terribly right now!)
Post a Comment