Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The S-Curve

Nope. This isn't about that stretch of highway in Grand Rapids.
It's about my back.
I learned quite a bit at my appointment today with an orthopedic doc in Elgin.
Ahhhh, another chance for a list!!!
Fun facts....
1. The official degree of my scoliosis is 27 degrees.
2. Approx 98% of people who have some curvature in their spine don't see it worsen past age twenty. Which sounds good, till you realize I could be in that last 2%, since it seems like it's gotten worse since 20.
3. I could have surgery if I wanted, but that would involve rods, pins, screws, and probably a helluva lot of time out of work.... nah.
4. They only recommend surgery for folks with a bend more like 45 degrees.
5. Not only is my spine bent in an S, it's twisted, or rotated laterally. That means my ribcage is the culprit for bulging out the right side of my back.
6. (and most disappointing) - I can exercise till I'm blue in the face but it won't revert the curve in the spine. It will help with the muscle fatigue though in the muscles around the spine and lower back, so I'm heading to some therapy sessions to help strengthen my "core".
7. I have gas bubbles in my intestines.
8. Gas bubbles show up on x-rays. (I have them in my possession, perfect for our next party!)

Ahhhh, nothing like doctor's-office-visit-inspired humor.

3 comments:

Ann said...

yikes...don't we all have gas bubbles in our intestines...at least I know I do? Sorry for the humor....here's to working your core I guess?

Murphy said...

The ladies have poot bubbles, I believe.

Yikes on the spine.

ctadhankins said...

Poot bubbles? I'm glad I don't have those, whatever they are!