Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My car OWNS me

My car and I are best pals.
That's why today I'm essentially treating him (yes, it's a him) to a spa day with the mechanic.
Poor fella needs some brake work, and a serious tune up. He's currently sitting at 192k, and hasn't had his plugs changed in at least 100k.  
Thanks to a ride from a co-worker, I'm now at my desk with no way out unless by foot. 
But since I spend so much time in my car, I'm afforded lots of time to think.
And this week there's lots to think about, especially with vacation bible school each night at church - I'm volunteering again this year as part of the "bible blast" crew. This year's theme is Power Lab, and all of the songs and activities are centered around a sort of "mad scientist" theme. Clare is all bummed out that she's still 1 year away from being in the groups that participate in the 4 stations that are set up. She still has fun in the pre-k group activities, but she knows daddy is blowing a crazy whistle and putting oatmeal on kids foreheads. Who wouldn't wanna be part of that?
This morning, one interesting thought popped in there. 
I wonder where Clare and Addie's future husbands are?
Yep, that's the kind of stuff that takes up worthwhile space in my brain.
It just struck me that somewhere, in some state, in some other day care place, or perhaps at home, are two little boys in separate, un-named places that will eventually make their way into Clare and Addie's lives. 
Who knows where the girls will end up going to college. In state? Out of state? Scholarship? (yes, please.) It makes me think about the way Ann and I ended up together, from 2 different states, 2 very different schools, and 2 very different paths.
One was in shape, one was not. One was a good student, the other.. not so much. 
I was lucky enough to land in an extended family that doesn't drive me crazy, and in fact there were some crazy similarities between my parents and my in-laws. Both were in the insurance business, and both dads loved to fish. Ok, so lots of men like to fish, but it was something the 2 dads could talk about in the first couple of meetings between the families.
There are so many stories about nutty in-laws and in-fighting between other families that I feel really lucky that we're not involved in any of that.
I really hope the same for the girls - and for me to some extent. I'm kind of a hands-on dad, so it would be really nice for me if the people they choose were also people I could hang out with. I mean, for starters it would be fun bonding and doing things with them. Plus, I could keep an eye on them and their intentions for the girls. Cuz' you know, daddy's gonna be packin' heat. (picture me doing the fingers-in-the-eyes thing with Robert DeNiro from Meet the Parents)
I feel like I'm off topic, I just had to scroll back up to see how I got started here this morning.
Ahh yes, my car. The trusty Accord machine. I just got a call from the mechanic, looks like we're only getting brakes done today.. CHAAAA-ching.
And it also looks like daddy's gonna look into how to change the trans fluid and coolant on his own. And maybe even new plugs.. although the last time I did that... (cue the swirly flashback screen and music)
We had just arrived home from a trip somewhere and were looking for the tan Camry in long-term parking at O'Hare. I had recently replaced the spark plugs on the car, and when I tried to start it up, it was all sorts of clicking but not much starting.
I looked under the hood and was treated to a light display that would rival any 4th of July celebration. There were arcing wires and flashes of light - not what I expected after my expert handiwork for sure. But with some twisting, pushing and moving of the spark plug wires, it fired up and we were back in business. But it was never the same. AND, I eventually had a real mechanic replace them again. D'oh.
(cut back to present tense)
The good news from my mechanic is that the car overall is in great shape - it's always nice to hear someone who knows tell you that the car has been well taken care of. (amen, brother)
I'm sure it won't be long, probably a month or so, before we hit the ol' 200k mark. Time for another roadside photo op... let's just hope it's not on the Jane Addams Tollway at rush hour.

No comments: