Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Plugged back in

I'm just now feeling like sitting down and writing something.
Actually, this is the first time I've had a time window to write anything since coming back from vacation.
Getting back into the swing of work is always interesting, especially since I was nearly gone for 2 weeks from the daily routine at the DH.
So much is changing around here-- staffers are leaving, other staffers are being re-assigned to new jobs. Job titles are changing and evolving with our web-first mentality, and we're still trying to figure out (or at least I am) how to maintain a functioning department that represents 2 separate zones for the paper.
Add to that an entirely new front-end computer system that has everyone raising their hands to ask questions, and very few people in the newsroom that have the answers. The bottom line for photographers is that the whole process by which we get pictures into out system has changed. Some of the changes have made life a bit easier. Others have made it pretty hellish.
I'm sure it will all settle down... just in time to get crushed by the schedule of prep sports and other school activities in the fall.
So, enough about work.
I decided a few days ago that one of the things I REALLY enjoyed about being on vacation was unplugging from my computer-driven life. I left my laptop at home, and thankfully Door County is pretty void of Verizon towers, so I was really out of the loop. And I loved it.
I could wake up each day knowing that the biggest decision I had to make was going to be whether I worked out that day, and whether it would be a run or a ride. And who would go with me.
That's about it.
Coffee in the morning, fun with the kids, great scenery, fun with the adults, great meals, lots of drinks, then sleep. It was freakin' awesome.
Then home for a couple days of painting, which, now that I've set my mind to it, I really enjoyed.
Then, off to Michigan for another vacation with family, just different last names!
Coffee in the morning, fun with the kids, fun with the adults, great meals, lots of drinks, karaoke then sleep. It was freakin' awesome.
I hope I'm not getting too far ahead of myself, but.... retirement is gonna rule.
I know, I know, long ways off. And too much happening between now and then to wish it here any faster. I'm just saying....
For pictures of many of the above events, see Ann's blog... linked at right. We've definitely enjoyed being back in the "traveling partners" groove again, something we have always enjoyed doing together. I'm looking forward to more of that on our surprise anniversary trip in September.
Also very worthy of notation today is the fact that I get to pick Clare up this evening after her extended stay with mom and dad. I know she's had a wonderful time and all involved have benefited from being alone together without us around. And to be honest, we've enjoyed a slightly slower pace at home with just one crazy girl... but the house is just empty without Clare Bear. It will be so great to see her and give her one long hug today, then head back from somewhere in Indiana to Roscoe. Dad is meeting me (for those of you that know the 80-94 corridor) at the Ripley Street exit to make the Bear exchange... which means a roughly 2-hour drive back home. But it will be the easiest 2-hour drive I've done in a while! I'll have my oldest daughter back with me!

No comments: