Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Butterflies

On one hand, I am really looking forward to Saturday at Reeds Lake. On the other hand, I want to throw up.
The training for this race has been going pretty well - and my knee issues from the last week or two have somehow disappeared just in time. Ann, Jock and I had some great workouts in Door County, and somehow the suffering ended up being fun. Ahhh, the magic of the north woods I guess.
But Ann and I are in "taper" mode now - the workouts are dwindling leading up to Saturday. Actually, the only thing I plan to do between now and then is a good swim tomorrow.
That, rest, and eat a lot.
It's funny though. You think that your body and mind are separate most of the time, but then you realize just how intertwined they are at other times. Recently, especially this morning, each time I think about the race my stomach turns and I get butterflies. I imagine standing there on the shore before the swim, just freaking out. Not "Oh My Lord I'M GONNA D
IE!" kind-of freaking out, just "holy crap, I signed up for this?" freaking out. 
Like I was telling somebody this weekend - I think of the whole race in three separate portions. 
The Swim - pure nerves. 
The Bike - my happy place, just have to remember not to blow everything I have before the run
The Run - pretty much learn to live within that suffering, it will be over soon.
If it seems like all I can talk about lately is this race, well, there you have it. It consumes my thoughts, every one of them with the exception of those where I'm getting work done at the office. 
I just keep thinking about the euphoria of crossing that finish line, and with any luck, a few minutes earlier than in previous years.

It's gettin' hot in here

Have you noticed that we haven't had that sweltering summer heat wave yet? It sure feels like Mother Nature is making a last-ditch run at it today. It's gotta be over 90 today, with plenty of humidity to go around. Seriously, this summer has been one of the most comfortable that I can remember. Lots of open-window nights, plenty of activity outside where you don't pass out from heat stroke.

Walking is for suckers

Just a thought- have you ever noticed that if you walk somewhere nowadays, especially somewhere that normally isn't travelled by foot, you look like a borderline homeless person?
Seriously - try walking down a major road somewhere. 
No sidewalk? Even better. 
The whole time you're walking, you're wanting to tell every car that drives by exactly why it is that you're walking and not driving a car like everyone else. And if you don't have any props to carry with you that immediately identify WHY you're walking (jumper cables, six pack of beer, camera) then you really look suspect. 
Why is that? 
Can't a brother just take a walk? I was reminded of this while walking ac
ross a parking lot earlier between the place that is rotating my tires and the place where I got coffee and some work done on my laptop. (Which is where I sit now)
As I crossed the parking lot and various curbs en route, I just felt like everyone who drove by was thinking "How odd... a nicely-dressed man with a laptop. In a parking lot. Hmmmm."
Am I alone here? It's possible.
Either way, you can't argue that our society has tried it's best to make walking obsolete. 
"Hey man, you wanna walk? Go to the gym ya' hippie. And by the way, you gotta get in your car and drive 10 minutes to get there!"
I know - you can't find progress. Sometimes. Especially along Randall Road.
Now if you don't mind, I'm going to get back to surfing the wireless network while sipping my iced coffee and checking email on my handheld.

Last but not least today....



3 comments:

Megz said...

First off, the mind and body are most definitely not seperate.
Your description of how you feel about the race this Saturday could've doubled for my thoughts on what labor would be like the first go-around.
Especially the "I signed up for this???" part.
Cool thing is, in such situations, adrenalin kicks in...and I know I don't need to tell YOU this. You've done many a race.

So just remember--if you think you might blow cookies all over the Reeds Lake boat launch, just think--giving birth to Benjamin would be waayyy less fun.

:)
You can do it!
I'm so proud of you AND Ann...impressive as hell. And I'll be there (even if I'm eatin a donut) cheering you on like mad!!

ctadhankins said...

thanks, sis! actually, i was hoping you and the boys would sit on the other side of Reeds Lake with a boombox of my favorite running tunes to fire me up with a few miles to go! But it's much more scenic at the boat launch...
Do you know anyone else doing the race that day?

Jennifer said...

Oh how I can relate - and I'm not tappering yet. I'm running 20 miles on Saturday (as a birthday present to myself - ha) and then I start to come down.

I know what it's like to be consumed by something like this - I feel like all I talk about anymore is running - and the marathon. But these things are huge, and it's a huge accomplishment for you to be at this point in training - where you're ready - and both you and Ann are ready!

So, while I'm sweating out 20 miles of road, I'll be thinking of you guys! I know you'll do well and I can't wait to hear all about it!!!