On September 19, 1998 Ann and I were married in Beloit, WI.
What has happened since then is certainly worth a novel of space, but I'll try to boil some of it down here. I've been looking forward to reflecting on those years while on vacation with Ann next week, which as previously mentioned is happening at an undisclosed (to me anyway) location.
But with the actual day now upon us, and since I'm in the mood now after waking Ann up with a little romance (no, not THAT kind of romance. C'mon, both girls were in the room!) I figured I would recount some of the highlights here.
Ann has already done a great job of mentioning lots of things that have made our lives truly amazing in the last 10 years, so take a spin over there if you would like to read on..
But what I continue to be amazed with is how I can always find new ways to be in love with her.
She's a great mother of 2 beautiful girls, a great success at her job, a great traveling companion for our many adventures both local and abroad. She reminded me in her blog this morning about how we set out on this journey together.
Both wanting the same things in so many ways, and yet kind of stepping off a ledge with others.
And in some ways she's pushed me beyond what I thought were my limits.
•An interest in traveling abroad when I had always figured there were enough amazing places to see right here in the U.S.
•Transforming me into someone who is in shape and finally, once and for all, giving up a bad habit that crept in once in a while. I used to day-dream about racing in a triathlon, inspired by my dad, but up until about 1999 I was never even in good enough shape to run around the block.
I've always said that the key for me was finding someone who shared a few key values and goals, and just letting the rest of it take care of itself. Thankfully, that has worked out better than I could ever have guessed. Sure, there are times when I wonder what she could possibly be thinking when
1-She cruises along in the left lane at 60 mph while talking to her sister
2-The recyclables don't end up in the right place
3-That classic broken record plays entitled "You weren't even listening, were you?"
But hey, that just gives us more stuff to laugh about with friends and family over a few drinks.
So today I'm thinking about that gorgeous blonde that walked across Empire Street to my apartment in Freeport. And about the night we were in Kerry Whipple's car by ourselves and I told her that I was having a hard time just being friends with her. And about the night we spent on her porch on Greenfield looking at the stars, and I realized that I was meant to be with her.
The whole time we were dating and were engaged, I used to just stop and look at her. When she would catch me doing this she would always ask what I was thinking.
My reply was always with a wide grin.
"You have no idea."
I have a distinct feeling it's only getting better from here.. I love you.
1 comment:
Happy traveling tomorrow!! Have a great time! :)
Post a Comment