Friday, October 03, 2008


I love me some wine

I'm settling back into work/life at home mode again, after a fantastic trip to Napa and Sonoma Valley last week.
Ann's surprise trip was a huge success, at least in my mind anyway. Although the surprises didn't quite pan out like she wanted, Sara, Braxton, Ann and I had a 
Barnett Vineyards in the Spring Mountain region of Napa Valley

great time traveling together again.
And especially with Ann... I had underestimated how much I miss traveling (anywhere) with her. Even riding the train from remote parking into O'Hare last Friday was fun. There aren't too many things I like better than getting out and seeing the world with her. 
Traveling with the kids is fun in it's own way, and I even told Ann I missed it a bit on the flight home Wednesday. While standing in the plane's lavatory, I noticed the flip-down baby changing station. And while I was glad I wasn't worried about having to deal with stuff like that at the moment, in some strange way I missed the challenge of flying, or generally traveling, with kids. I remember what a twist it was to take an 18-month-old Clare with us to France, and all of the fun that ensued with her along the way.
I think I'll keep things the way they are now, but there was an element of fun in the old days.
But California was fantastic. It was really hot the first few days, and with no tolerance for intense wine drinking the heat really melted my brain by late afternoon on Saturday and Sunday. At the last tasting of each day, it was just about nodding my head like I could actually tell what was in my mouth. 
"Wow, that one's really got... uh..... some pizazz." Or some other total bologna like that.
Then I would glance over at Ann and Sara to see their teeth stained dark as if they had just dined on a dozen blueberry pies. The laughter would pep me back up again. Until I realized I looked just as silly...
Over time I learned the difference (for real) between a Merlot and a Cabernet Sauvignon, got more of an appreciation for Zinfandel and learned exactly why I'm not a big fan of Petite Syrah. (can I have more water, please?)
And I really acquired a taste for Chardonnay. 
"That stuff is for chicks" pretty much wrapped up my previous theory on it.
But after a visit to Far Niente and Barnett Vineyards, I'm a changed man. I'm still not a huge fan of the really "buttery" versions, but it's good stuff. (official wine-tasting lingo there)
The whites that spend a little more time in stainless tanks as opposed to French Oak barrels tends to be more my speed. Anyway...
The views were fantastic, the places we stayed were really nice, lo-key spots. 
The Maison Fleurie in Yountville

Almost like a bed and breakfast in some ways. Both (they're owned by the same company) had cooks on site that prepared amazing breakfasts each day and had cheese and wine out during the evenings if we were back in time.
It was such a relaxing time - and knowing that all of our kids were with their grandparents was a huge plus. We could not have pulled off this trip without them. Clare and Addie really enjoyed their time with Nana and Papa - the picture book they left behind tells that story! It almost seems like Addie grew up a bit while we were gone too. It was so great being away from them for a few days, and even better to see them again when we got back.
While I was cuddling with Addie last night reading a book, she looked up at me and said "I love you daddy, I'm so glad you're home."
Priceless.
More pictures later, I promise.

2 comments:

Megz said...

Looks and sounds like a great trip! Never thought I'd hear (or read, in this case) you talking so much about wine varietals. Love it.

Great job, Ann!!!

Dina said...

Ugh, I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to go to Napa/Sonoma. One day...
So glad you guys had a good time. I am such a nerd - I totally checked yours and Ann's blog first thing the morning you left cause I was so curious about where you were headed! Ha!
p.s. GREAT pics! I know you're a professional photographer and all, but still...