Tuesday, November 04, 2008

One Historic Night

For the sake of history here I want to post something on election night, 2008.
I've never been so wrapped up in the idea of a single election as I have been the past couple years, months, days and now minutes.
If I had my way I would be firmly entrenched on my couch at home, beer close by watching endless amounts of CNN, MSNBC, etc watching the colored states and various stats flying at me all night. I was talking to a co-worker tonight and we came to the same conclusion, that because of how the last 2 elections have gone down, it's no longer a safe assumption that we'll go to bed knowing who the next president will be. No matter, I'll be so hopped up that I plan to stay up as long as it takes to fall asleep content with some good news.
But alas, I'm in my 2nd Starbucks of the day, enjoying my 2nd free cup of coffee of the day, catching up on some work while waiting to head to my assignment this evening in Elgin. 
It's worth noting that I was at work shortly after 9 am this morning as well.
I'll be spending a good chunk of my evening with an older black couple in Elgin, watching election returns with them and watching their reactions to this historic election. 
It's one of those assignments that could be pure gold.
It could also be a real 'flaming turd' as Tim Sheil used to say. 
Lots of x-factors on this one.
Are they emotional people? Will there be any real results to react to in time for me to meet an 11 pm deadline? You have to build in about 10-15 minutes of time for me to get to my car, ingest the photos onto my mac, choose one, caption it, size it and upload it to the network. 
Will all of the technology involved work as it should? Nights like this are prime times for things to break down. I shouldn't have even typed that, it will probably end up cursing my tonight.
So in a way, I will be getting my wish to witness history... just in someone else's living room, with a camera glued to my head.
But I digress- I have so many hopes and dreams locked up in the outcome of this election.
Faith in my country, faith in the people who live here, hope for a truly UNITED States of America. It's a big wish list, I know.
We'll see..

1 comment:

Dina said...

So how was your night? Very interesting and moving, I bet. Looking forward to the possibility of a recap...? :)