Friday, December 19, 2008

Even the chains couldn't hack it today

I've been so stoked about my snow chains that I bought off eBay. And up until today, they've helped me conquer to snow in my driveway with the greatest of ease. 
But this morning's snowfall total was insane. And worse yet, there's going to be more to work with when I get home.
I love the snow, really. It makes things look so nice, and if it's going to be this cold, might as well snow like hell.
But I cleared 6-7 inches off my driveway this morning, and by the time I was done nearly another inch had fallen. Then another inch or two while I showered, got dressed and ate breakfast.
When I bought that John Deere mower a while back and realized that it came with a 42" plow blade for the winter, I figured I would be king of driveway clearing.
Now, as is usually the case, I find myself dreaming of another purchase. Now is certainly not the time to entertain that idea, but I will be searching craigslist anyway in hopes of finding a snow thrower attachment (I have serious power tool envy with my neighbor Mark's machine)
As Ann said the other night when I complained about the neighbor boys destroying the work I had done on my walkway... I've become such an old man about some things.
I completely thank/blame my father for this one. I used to wonder why he could care so  much about scraping the snow from the roof, or taking care of this and that. 
Now..... I understand. Now that the house, the walkway, the cars, the yard are mine, it's a much different story. I guess it's a pride of ownership kinda thing. Or maybe it's that I don't want to get sued by the piano tuner lady when she bites it on my walkway coming up to the house.
Or maybe it's because I just love playing with power tools.
Probably all of the above.

No comments: