What happened to Christmas? I seem to remember having a lot of fun, and I know the girls had a blast. But seriously, all of a sudden it was here and then gone. (maybe it's cuz I spent 24 hrs on the couch recovering from Friday night)
The process of ramping up to the holidays just doesn't seem to take as long anymore. I'm sure that's partially because some of the childhood awe of Christmas has changed. I mean, as a kid, Christmas day was the end-all thing of the year. I couldn't get to sleep Christmas Eve, and that feeling waiting at the top of the stairs Christmas morning was the best thing ever.
For me this year, those "best of" moments came in the form of watching the girls get so excited about their gifts. Especially the look on Clare's face when she took the phone call from Pizza Ranch that she had won the "world's largest Christmas stocking". It was priceless.
Both girls were just beyond happy while opening their gifts, you can see for yourself below.


Sometimes it's hard to just let them be happy for getting gifts. Something deep in me kinda winces at such joy over material things, I just have to remember that they're kids. And will be for some time. When I DO remember that, it's even more fun to watch.
How could I possibly have expected Clare to grasp the concept of giving away some of her winnings to needy kids? Gimme a break... (we still have a pile of gifts that are going away, since no matter what Clare says I'm not convinced she needs a warrior sword that makes noise and lights up)
So the kids had a banner Christmas filled with gifts from their grandparents, us and the jolly old elf himself. Ann and I enjoyed taking it easy on spending for each other, and finding that it has nothing to do with how we see the holidays.
As Ann mentioned in her blog, it's really just about family. We saw plenty of them over the last few weeks. We enjoyed traveling locally and over to Michigan for visits with both sides of the family, and I actually enjoyed being on the road Christmas Day. There's something about traveling that day that feels like the modern-day equivalent to "over the river and through the woods". Which in our case, is actually true. Or, should I say, "out of the woods, over some rivers and around the lake".
Part of what feels so hectic is the schedule that doesn't seem to let up, even after Christmas.
We have plans to attend a big party with the kids at the Heilers in St. Charles on New Year's Eve, and less than 12 hours into the new year, I'm leaving for the U.P. with a group from church to go skiing for a few days. Myself, Pastor Jan and another chaperone will be hanging out with a group of roughly 20 junior and senior high kids, trying to avoid a repeat of last year's "don't try the terrain park when you just learned how to ski" event.
I'm sure once the smoke clears and we're on our way up there, I'll be even more excited that I actually get to ski for a couple days!
And, in another bonus this year I'm using some frequent flyer points to take a trip to Portland to ski for 2 days with Jon and his buddies at Mt. Bachelor near Sun River, Oregon.
So as it turns out, I DO get my skiing fix this year. Yay me!
Since it's entirely possible I won't post anything else until 2009, let me take this opportunity to tell you all, in brief, what 2008 has meant to me.
I watched my dearest Clare Bear start school, and noticed that she's fast becoming a very intelligent, independent little girl.
I noticed my little Addie growing from a toddler to a headstrong little girl. The CUTEST headstrong little girl on the planet.
I looked back on 10 years with the love of my life, and realized just how lucky I am.
I took some giant leaps of faith, with my faith. No one would be surprised that I started singing in church, but with the praise team? I surprised even myself, or should I say God surprised me.
I'm learning that drastic change can be a great thing, no matter how scary it may seem right now.
And I had my faith in America restored (for the most part ;-)) on Nov. 4.
Happy New Year everyone. Cheers.
1 comment:
Hey Chris:
Sounds like you have had a great year and have had a similar experience with your faith, as I have had this year. It's good to hear about God working in all of our lives. Have a great time skiing, hope there's some freshies out there for ya!
Alyson
Post a Comment