Maybe it's because I've had so much time inside over the past 3 months.
Or maybe I'm just plain freaked out that the whole world seems to revolve around putting crap on the computer.
I used to think I had the upper hand with Ann because I spent most of my workday on my laptop at work, while she suffered in disconnected hell at the Y, unable to blog, FB, or anything else. Worse yet, she doesn't have sound on her PC at work! The horror...
I was so lucky because i could keep about 3 dozen applications open and catch up on all my personal stuff while still editing pictures and keeping schedules together.
But, now that FB seems to own America and much of both of our lives, I'm finding myself longing for a huge disconnect. Perhaps the warmer weather will offer respite from sitting inside and surfing. Wait, I just signed up for FB mobile. Crap.
I had a bit of an epiphany while out in Oregon. One of the guys we went skiing with was talking about how he stays away from FB most of the time except to communicate with certain people. He was telling me this as I updated my status via Treo in the backseat of John's truck.
Pathetic, I thought.
But I really felt like I wanted more of the opposite. I mean, logging on and telling everyone what I'm doing that very minute just confirms how little I have going. I know it's a great communication option, and it's put me in touch with people I never would have been able to track down. Case in point, Rick Mayfield. It was great touching base with him after roughly 25 years. This was the kid from the "yes, I played the flute in junior high" story. The one that joined up with me and then moved away with his family, leaving me high and dry in a sea of girl flute players, all of whom surely thought I was a complete fruit.
I think I've just started becoming more aware of what I could be doing every time I log in and write something.
This blog serves a different purpose in that regard.. a place to tell stories, vent about certain things and post photos for friends and relatives to see. In some cases, it's a great venue to make observations about life's little happenings or to keep relatives posted on what's new in the Hankins family.
Anyway... I'm sure I'll be back on FB before too long either way, poking around to see if anyone else is peeking into my little corner of the world. I may just make a point though of staying around a little less.
1 comment:
I'm not even going to go there with the FB thing and how much time I waste on there because, yes, I really have nothing going on! But, seriously, you played flute? I never knew that...but I'm proud...really proud! I just got mine out the other day and while the tongue ring doesn't really help me, it was so much fun to play. We should have a jam session. :) Oh, and I want to hear the story!
Post a Comment