Sunday, April 26, 2009

Rain, rain ain't no thang

Mother nature tried her best to dissuade me from getting any real work done this weekend, but I taught her a lesson. Anyone who had my dad as a role model growing up would never back down from a little yard work because it was raining.
That's why God invented rain gear.
Anyway.. we got 5 yards of mulch delivered Saturday morning, and the odyssey began. After clearing the front flower beds of the old, worthless, something's-growing-out-of-them-but-not-very-pretty bulbs (pain in the ass) I covered all of the front flowerbeds in mulch, even trimming back some of the gargantuan shrubbery that dominates the bed near the driveway.
I also transplanted a bunch of hostas (much earlier than I did last year, and it's MUCH easier this way) to the front of the house and a few extras in the little plot by the mailbox.
Also on the list of to-dos in my head was to get rid of the ridiculous-looking crocus plants that appear in the front yard. Sure, they're pretty when they flower, but the pattern they form in the yard can only be the result of a 3-drink lunch and a trip around on the lawn tractor spreading seeds every which way.
In the effort to keep this short (as I've already written 1 post tonight and I need to get to bed) here's a brief highlight reel of the rest of the work.
Started carving out area for flower bed in front of yard.
Decided not to cut out a huge area of sod by hand.
Wheelbarrow handle broke under crushing weight of sod I had already cut out.
Used dirt from woods to fill space along back of office wall, better for drainage.
Destroyed 3 pairs of jeans - still waiting for 2 pairs of gloves to dry out.
Have decided that i'm just going to use Roundup grass killer and take it easy on myself.
(Just decided this is the most disjointed, random post in quite a while)
A final note - we took the girls to see Earth this afternoon for a matinee. They actually enjoyed it and were very good at the movie theater (more than I can say for the gaggle of morons down the row from us - who provided commentary during much of the movie and apparently have hearing-impaired parents)
It was a very cool movie, narrated by James Earl Jones - all about the earth and it's climates, inhabitants and how they all coexist with nature. Really great cinematography - apparently they (Disney) are coming out with another movie next year on Earth Day entitled Oceans. Should be pretty cool.
It was a great weekend combination of getting work done, having fun with the girls and not thinking for one instant about work.
Wait, what day is tomorrow? Crap..

1 comment:

margi h. said...

I'm not sayin' we don't have a life, but clearly the highlight of our day was reading the last two entries here!
Thanks for the fun, and the news:)