Sunday, May 24, 2009

When I dream about the moonlight on the Wabash...

I just feel like writing a bit, sitting here with coffee in hand, taking in the view from 6111 Bluff Ledge Road in Door County. The sun is shining on Green Bay, the kids are playing various things around the house. Addie upstairs in the dollhouse palace, Clare is just entertaining herself and us with her antics. Everyone except Karen is still in their PJ's, and we're just a little ways away from the start of the Indy 500, the annual Ricke-Hankins fun fest. Although I haven't been there for several years, we always live vicariously through knowing everyone is down there. I still get goosebumps when Jim Nabors sings "Back Home Again in Indiana" and Mary Hulman George gives the command to "start your engines".
Addie enjoyed round 1 of her birthday week by completing a Wilcox-inspired Amazing Race to claim her birthday prize, a brand-new bike to help keep up with her sister. She followed a trail of clues across the road, through the woods, completed a rock-moving "roadblock" (with some help from Clare) and arrived at the mat as Team #1. She took quickly to her new ride, and is just minutes away from getting dressed and heading out to the driveway again for another spin on the blacktop.
We've enjoyed a couple beautiful sunsets already, despite a brief rain shower yesterday, hit a few art fairs and saw the Jacksonport Memorial Day parade. I fulfilled my duty as an American by hitting the brat stand at 10:30 am, downing that and a beer as the parade started. I've never felt so fully satisfied. Today will surely involved more good food and wine, perhaps a bike ride, some kite flying and just hanging around enjoying the view.
No matter what, I'll be relaxed. Something that's been missing for a few weeks back home. I hope it's a souvenir I can take with me back to Roscoe.

No comments: