Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Faster than a speeding mutt

So I knew this stupid dog was going to be there. Every time I ride my road bike up Free Church Road, towards the end of my 16-18 mile bike route, he's always there. Just at the top of one of the hills, at the farm house on the right. I know it. And I have a few miles to think about how I'm going to react when he comes charging after me.
Last Sunday was the first time I've been down that road this year, and to my surprise his owner (or somebody) was out in the front yard with him and he didn't even blink as I rode by. Maybe it was a different, much lazier dog, who knows. Anyway, it was nice to not get attacked.
So then yesterday, as I pedaled up the hill I figured 2 times in a week would be too much to ask for an easy ride by that farm, so I kept an eagle eye out for the son of a bitch. And there he was, crouched in attack position on the dirt road leading to the barn. He saw me, and it was game on.
He starts sprinting down the driveway, cuts across the yard to narrow the gap, and onto the blacktop.
I will interrupt the story here to give you a bit of backstory - the worst part about this farm and it's insane dog is that it's right at the top of a hill, and by the time I pass this place I'm temporarily out of gas from the climb, and in no mood go any faster until I catch my breath.
So anyway, a couple different options are racing through my head at light speed as I hear his paws whizzing across the pavement. Do I take a foot out of the pedals and stop at his head? Nah, that would probably make me wipe out. Do I throw something at him? Nah, I'm not wasting a water bottle on this thing. All of a sudden, I decide to outrun him. Problem is, I'm still gassed from the climb. Even so, I find an extra gear and jam as hard as I can on the pedals. For a few seconds, he's dead even with my rear tire, and I'm taking turns watching the road ahead and looking down to see if he's going to eat my right ankle for dinner. (it's at this point that i realize what an ugly freakin' dog he is.. some kind of mutt) And as I nearly hyper-extend some of my back and leg muscles I start to pull away from him. The victory is bittersweet as he finally gives up and turns back toward home and I realize I've beaten him fair and square. Bittersweet because I'm REALLY wasted now, and I have a few more climbs before the ride is over.
In the spirit of full disclosure, we're not talking about Mt. Ventoux kind of climbs, but some of those hills can really suck the wind out of your lungs for a bit.
I'm not sure what to do about the dog, knowing that I'll end up passing that house many more times, and I'm pretty tired of being harrassed by a stupid dog.
I thought about going back to the house sometime and asking the owners to keep him contained for the sake of anyone who walks or rides down that road - but you never know what kind of crazy you might be greeted with at the door.
The thought of a late-night hunting mission crossed my mind, but even I have my limits. (some of you know what I'm talking about)
So even though my heartrate was spiked beyond its limits briefly, at least I beat the little bastard.
(yes, I'm talking smack about a mutt)

1 comment:

Kurt said...

Take a can of bear spray on your next ride past him/her... that should do the trick. Or if you like the interval work out the dog provides, perhaps some dog biscuits!