Reflecting on Racine
Where to start - I can hardly believe it's over.
It doesn't seem like that long ago that I was wondering how I would manage several months of training and then feel strong enough to take on a 70.3-mile race. But despite all the nagging thoughts in my head that perhaps I wasn't ready, or maybe the waves would be too rough, or maybe the combination of all three events would completely unravel me, things worked out better than I could have hoped.
I originally started a blow-by-blow account here of how the day unfolded, but I decided it might be better for my train of thought, and for a reader's sanity, to simply list the things that I will never forget about Sunday's half ironman.
• the text I got from my mom while I was prepping my transition area around 6:30 am
• actually chuckling to myself during the swim because I was so comfortable in the water, wondering why I had let myself freak out in anticipation of the lengthy lake swim
• the elation of getting out of the water feeling so good
• suffering more than I thought I would on the bike leg (I underestimated how tough it would be to be on those aero bars that long)
• the camaraderie of heading out of the bike leg and onto the run with Gary
• the pleasant surprise of feeling my legs come back around after the first 3 miles of the run
• remembering to enjoy what I was doing as I finished the last couple miles of the run, thinking back to all the training and time logged preparing for it.
• seeing my family as I came around the bend to the finishing chute.
• taking what seemed like such a monumental task and preparing adequately for it, and running a smart race in terms of pace and nutrition.
• knowing that I was feeling not mine, but a God-given strength throughout the race.
• and most of all, finishing strong after 70.3 miles of swimming, riding and running.
Now I'm planning to spend the rest of the summer staying up a little later, drinking an extra beer here and there that I didn't over the last few months, and seeing much more of my girls.
Life is good.
Actually, it's fantastic.
1 comment:
This is wonderful, Chris. Written as only you would write it, helping paint a picture for us all in reliving your incredible experience. You did a fantastic job. More importantly, it appears as if it has changed your life. How many folks take this type of time out of their day to reflect the way in which you have? Rock on....
Post a Comment