Wednesday, May 16, 2012

iLostCount

If you're like me, you've lost count of all the various things you log into each day on your desktop computer, iPhone, iPad, laptop, etc.
I'm a gadget geek, for sure. It doesn't even matter if it's got an Apple logo on it, I just love acquiring new, high-tech toys. So it's a bit of a surprise to me that I feel this need to pull back on technology just a bit. Actually, it's not really the hardware that's overwhelming. It's all the crap that's on it.
While researching some ideas about photo and video technology, I finally looked up what Tumblr was. I've seen it online for some time now, along with other social media sites/programs I don't use like Stumbleupon and Pinterest.  And for the life of me, I can't see the benefit of most of it. I already have a blog, clearly, where I can post photos, videos and other groundbreaking commentary. So to add another "micro blogging" site to my list of things to do during the day seems pretty pointless. Pinterest, as much as I publicly knock it, seems to have a place. Just not in my time-space continuum.
Look, I'm guilty of staring at my iPhone just as much as the next guy, checking out Twitter, checking in on Four Square, looking up Facebook status updates. And as far as new technology goes, I like to think I'm in the top 30% or so of general knowledge. And I like to think that in just about 30 minutes or so, I can take a spin around the web (ok, maybe 60 minutes) and get all the information that interests me personally.
But trying to get ahead of the curve is making my brain want to shut down completely. I came across a woman's blog today that featured seven or eight social media logos advertising the myriad ways you could "find" her online. Seriously?
And if there's somebody I really want to pay attention to online, chances are I'll get what I need from one avenue, not seven. It's almost as if all the world's entrepreneurial nerds are trying to one-up each other by creating another way to connect.
Don't like blogger.com? Try OUR site that automatically posts what you write to blogger instead! Tired of all the riff-raff on Twitter? Sign up for a free account at anothertimesucker.com and we'll post everything you do to Twitter automatically. Facebook too!
At some point I think we've got enough to work with. Besides, there's a whole world of activity happening, in real life, that's more "interactive" and comes with much better benefits. Like interpersonal relationships! And kids! Granted, I can't earn a Four Square badge for playing baseball with my daughters or taking them on a bike ride, but it's more fun,
I'm not saying that I'm leaving the social media world anytime soon. There are still so many benefits to being connected like never before. But I think there's a limit.
And I also think I've reached it.
I'll write more later, I see it's my turn on Scramble With Friends.

No comments: