Kicking ass and taking names
It was the in-laws to the rescue this week in a big way. Jock helped me complete some projects at the house while I took 2 days off this week, and Karen came over at the end of each day with a full-on dinner prepared. I think Karen and Jock were hoping for leftovers from the casserole and pasta dishes, but after working all day it was game on for me. I think I had 6 servings of the casserole. That was some good stuff.
Between Jock and I we got a ton of things done. We figured out the wiring issue for the outside lights, fixed them and installed a lighted lamp post at the end of the driveway. No more issues about which switch does what at the house, thank goodness.
We also sealed up several mouse "super highways" under the bay kitchen window through to the basement with Jock's homemade wooden "sleds" that we nailed into place. We also tore off a good section of the rotten wood outside the kitchen and replaced it with cedar (you can't buy redwood anymore... darn)
We added a 2-inch lip to the roof over the windows to keep the same rotting issues from cropping up again.
I sealed the flat roof over the porch with fibered aluminum seal coating (that's fun stuff) so that will keep the roof good for another 4-5 years. I replaced the ridge vent shingles over the family room and garage last Sunday, so our roofing work is complete for the year.
We also replaced all of the nasty insulation that had become network of mouse tunnels in the basement joist spaces.
I think our little furry friends are going to be shit out of luck this winter if they're looking for a place to get warm. Too bad, so sad!
All in all we kicked butt.
This weekend I should be able to get the last round of leaves out of the yard... then it's on to indoor projects for the winter!
We're looking forward to a nice long Thanksgiving weekend in Grand Rapids with the Hankins family, Jon will already be there since he flies in this weekend from Seattle. The girls are already talking about all the turkey they're going to eat and they can't wait to see Nana and Papa again.
Friday, November 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment