News from North Texas
Greetings from the Neiman home in Wichita Falls, where we've been since arriving around 6:30 pm on Wednesday. We made is safely and without too many issues: we left Roscoe at 2:50 am that day and drove straight through, with only a few stops of any length. The kids were great on the road and were constantly entertained by "clues" for their "amazing race" adventure as well as hourly treats that mom had packed. We even found (completely by accident) an exit in Springfield MO that had a Jimmy John's and a Buffalo Wild Wings (hell yeah!) The only problem was that apparently when you call and order 12 medium wings to go in Missouri, it means you want pretty much the whole damn chicken. So after hours of dreaming of some BWW for a road meal, imagine my surprise when I opened the bag and saw 2 boxes, when normally those 12 wings would easily have fit into 1. What I ended up with was 12 medium drumsticks, about 3 times the size of the usual wings we get. It was too much to handle, especially while driving. Yes, I did try to eat them while driving, I wasn't about to give up my shift behind the wheel of a large automobile. Also of note on the road trip, don't drive through Oklahoma unless it's very important or you are on your way somewhere else. Even then, speed. It's a boring wasteland of nothingness, with the occasional tree that's been destroyed by a recent ice storm. Good place for an ice storm, I say.
Since we've been here in Wichita Falls, we've been on Sara time, which means that every moment has been filled with activities for the kids, great meals and stuff for adults as well.
We were greated Wednesday night with Lasagna and sopapilla cheesecake, followed by Thursday morning honey bun cake and breakfast enchiladas. Yep, in the first 12 hours. We also celebrated a belated Christmas with Sara, Braxton JB and Greta, so the kids were thrilled to have another go-round of presents. I'll let everyone else tell you about what they got but I received the 20th-anniversary remastered edition of the Joshua Tree by U2 from Sara and Braxton. I've already watched part of the bonus DVD which includes concert footage from Paris in 1987 and a documentary of their time in America while making the album. It even comes with a cd of unreleased b-sides and tracks from that era. Hard to believe that it's been 20 years since that album was released. Hmm...
Greetings from the Neiman home in Wichita Falls, where we've been since arriving around 6:30 pm on Wednesday. We made is safely and without too many issues: we left Roscoe at 2:50 am that day and drove straight through, with only a few stops of any length. The kids were great on the road and were constantly entertained by "clues" for their "amazing race" adventure as well as hourly treats that mom had packed. We even found (completely by accident) an exit in Springfield MO that had a Jimmy John's and a Buffalo Wild Wings (hell yeah!) The only problem was that apparently when you call and order 12 medium wings to go in Missouri, it means you want pretty much the whole damn chicken. So after hours of dreaming of some BWW for a road meal, imagine my surprise when I opened the bag and saw 2 boxes, when normally those 12 wings would easily have fit into 1. What I ended up with was 12 medium drumsticks, about 3 times the size of the usual wings we get. It was too much to handle, especially while driving. Yes, I did try to eat them while driving, I wasn't about to give up my shift behind the wheel of a large automobile. Also of note on the road trip, don't drive through Oklahoma unless it's very important or you are on your way somewhere else. Even then, speed. It's a boring wasteland of nothingness, with the occasional tree that's been destroyed by a recent ice storm. Good place for an ice storm, I say.
Since we've been here in Wichita Falls, we've been on Sara time, which means that every moment has been filled with activities for the kids, great meals and stuff for adults as well.
We were greated Wednesday night with Lasagna and sopapilla cheesecake, followed by Thursday morning honey bun cake and breakfast enchiladas. Yep, in the first 12 hours. We also celebrated a belated Christmas with Sara, Braxton JB and Greta, so the kids were thrilled to have another go-round of presents. I'll let everyone else tell you about what they got but I received the 20th-anniversary remastered edition of the Joshua Tree by U2 from Sara and Braxton. I've already watched part of the bonus DVD which includes concert footage from Paris in 1987 and a documentary of their time in America while making the album. It even comes with a cd of unreleased b-sides and tracks from that era. Hard to believe that it's been 20 years since that album was released. Hmm...
Later that morning Jock, Braxton and I went to their fitness club and got our workout on while the girls went shopping, then we took the kids to JB's school playground for some outdoor exercise. Jock and I also rediscovered the joy of shopping at Goodwill, where I was on the hunt for a sport coat (which I forgot at home) for Friday night's trip to the country club. Apparently it's a requirement for the fellas when dining in one particular room there, I dunno. Anyway, we found a doozy by Oscar de la Renta for $9, a brown houndstooth number. It's a real winner, and an inch too short in the sleeves (yeah, good luck finding a 44 extra long at Goodwill) and also found a cool t-shirt which reads "If you vote for Pedro, all of your wildest dreams will come true!" $2 for that bad boy. I might go back tomorrow and pick up the orange one I saw the said "Duke of Hazzard" with a picture of the General Lee, and instead of a tag on the inside of the collar, it simply reads in laundry marker "Kenny Buck". Oh, yeah. I think I gotta have that one!
We celebrated JB and Clare's birthdays together with some really amazing cakes (photos to come) and the week-long celebration of JB's birthday continues.. his party and Greta's are tomorrow.
Back to the food... last night we had bacon-wrapped beef filets, avocado and bacon salad and Judy Neiman's famous corn dish. Keep in mind, we've only been in Texas for 24 hours now....
This morning Jock and I took off for a 9:30 spinning class, and I woke up only 30 minutes before leaving so I don't know what went down for breakfast.. but the kids went with Ann and Sara to a salon where Clare and Addie got their nails done and Addie had her first haircut. That seemed to go well, and she got a certificate stating how good she was and a little pouch for some of the fallen blonde locks. Braxton has been working on and off during the time here so far, I'm looking forward to seeing him more over the weekend, rumor has it we have some tee times including one at a spectacular course near Lawton, OK. They must have bought a lake there to water the place, since Braxton says it's one of the nicest places he's played (and that's saying something) and after reading my description of Oklahoma in general earlier, you could understand how making a golf course look nice there would be a trick. The morning was rounded out by a trip to Jump for Joy, a maze of inflatable fun for kids that's owned by one of Sara's friends here in town. Just imagine the "bounce house" from a county fair and multiply that by 75. The place is insane, and the kids had a blast.. I was a bit too whipped from spinning to really get in there and mix it up with the kids, but the dual birthday party is being held there tomorrow so we'll be there again soon.
Clare and JB are off soon to a tennis lesson at the country club, that should be interesting. I guess Ann and Sara will have a report on that when they return. Ms. Tiffany is coming back to babysit tonight while the adults go to the country club for dinner which will be nice, mostly to be kid-free. After that, who knows! It's been a relaxing and fun time so far, I'm hoping it doesn't fly by too quickly! We're also looking forward to more Texas-like weather this weekend. We arrived to 30's, which was nice but not the respite we were hoping for after the last week or so in Roscoe. Word has it we'll get 60's and 70's here this weekend. That would be great! Especially for some golf.. more later!
We celebrated JB and Clare's birthdays together with some really amazing cakes (photos to come) and the week-long celebration of JB's birthday continues.. his party and Greta's are tomorrow.
Back to the food... last night we had bacon-wrapped beef filets, avocado and bacon salad and Judy Neiman's famous corn dish. Keep in mind, we've only been in Texas for 24 hours now....
This morning Jock and I took off for a 9:30 spinning class, and I woke up only 30 minutes before leaving so I don't know what went down for breakfast.. but the kids went with Ann and Sara to a salon where Clare and Addie got their nails done and Addie had her first haircut. That seemed to go well, and she got a certificate stating how good she was and a little pouch for some of the fallen blonde locks. Braxton has been working on and off during the time here so far, I'm looking forward to seeing him more over the weekend, rumor has it we have some tee times including one at a spectacular course near Lawton, OK. They must have bought a lake there to water the place, since Braxton says it's one of the nicest places he's played (and that's saying something) and after reading my description of Oklahoma in general earlier, you could understand how making a golf course look nice there would be a trick. The morning was rounded out by a trip to Jump for Joy, a maze of inflatable fun for kids that's owned by one of Sara's friends here in town. Just imagine the "bounce house" from a county fair and multiply that by 75. The place is insane, and the kids had a blast.. I was a bit too whipped from spinning to really get in there and mix it up with the kids, but the dual birthday party is being held there tomorrow so we'll be there again soon.
Clare and JB are off soon to a tennis lesson at the country club, that should be interesting. I guess Ann and Sara will have a report on that when they return. Ms. Tiffany is coming back to babysit tonight while the adults go to the country club for dinner which will be nice, mostly to be kid-free. After that, who knows! It's been a relaxing and fun time so far, I'm hoping it doesn't fly by too quickly! We're also looking forward to more Texas-like weather this weekend. We arrived to 30's, which was nice but not the respite we were hoping for after the last week or so in Roscoe. Word has it we'll get 60's and 70's here this weekend. That would be great! Especially for some golf.. more later!
No comments:
Post a Comment