Friday, June 06, 2008

Soundtrack for brief suffering

So all I can think about is tomorrow's triathlon...
And every time I think about it, my gut hurts. I guess I shouldn't be surprised - every other time I've raced it kinda consumes my brain and I get a little stressed out leading up to it.
This time around it's a very short course, one that doesn't scare me in terms of length or "can I actually do it". Maybe my body is just firing up for the adrenaline load. Who knows. I'm also waiting to see if I have my recurring nightmare about being late for the race, which usually also involves forgetting my bike helmet or some other crucial piece of gear.
But... on the way to work today I started crafting a playlist for the iPod that I can listen to during the run portion of the race. I've never listened to any music during an actual race, most of the time the race directors ban them.. but apparently this time around it's ok. So I figured it would be nice to have along since I've been running the last couple of months while plugged in.
Not sure how easy it's going to be to plug in while running out of the transition area, but we'll see. Maybe it will just end up tossed in my bag and I'll go without.
Anyway, here's the soundtrack for what hopefully will be the last 25-26 minutes of the race:

You Get What You Give - New Radicals
Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve
Burden in my Hand - Soundgarden
Celebrity Skin - Hole
Copperline - James Taylor (subject to change on game day)
Fix You - Coldplay
Where the Streets Have No Name - U2

The last 2 should be especially helpful for finding the last couple ounces of fuel in the "engine room".

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Have such a great time tomorrow - - good luck!! I'll be thinking about you, wishing I was there with you (I'm now roped into wedding crap starting at 8 am whoo hoo! Which means I'll be getting quite drunk in the evening!). Enjoy!!!!!

ctadhankins said...

well, at least we'll have THAT in common tomorrow!
party on!

Murphy said...

You can do it! Just think, your grueling race will not be as long as ours tomorrow (and into the next day)! :)

ctadhankins said...

Thanks- I'll be thinking about you guys a lot starting tomorrow... travel safe! Can't wait to meet your children!