Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Age 23 reprise

This weekend Ann and I and some friends are going to see Dave Matthews Band at Alpine Valley up in Wisconsin. As I type, Ann is compiling notes from recent set lists so we can make a cd to listen to in anticipation of Saturday's show.
Honestly? I'm just hoping I can do myself proud and survive the day, straddling the fine line between just enough beer for a good time and the one-too-many coma that puts you sleeping on the lawn for the entire second half of the set.
We're planning to get there early and barbecue and enjoy the tailgating scene then hit the show, so it's going to require some forethought and strategy on my part. It's been years since I dusted off the all-day concert party hat, and even though this gig isn't starting until late afternoon (unlike the Lollapalooza days of the mid-90s when things got under much earlier) it's still a long time to stay on top of one's game.
Neither one of us has ever seen DMB (that's what the kids call them) live, so it will be a total blast. But we'll also probably be the least knowledgeable of the fans when it comes to DMB songs and/or trivia. Our friend Karen who's part of our group is somewhat of a Dave Matthews fanatic, so we'll just stick with her and try to look cool.
Karen and Jock will be here for the weekend, so the kids will be in good hands on Saturday. If we don't show up for church on Sunday, please see the above first 3 paragraphs.

It remains to be seen if my goal of still finding time to seal the driveway and cut up major amounts of fallen tree in the backyard will materialize. A boy can dream, can't he?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

DMB is one of the best live shows I've ever been to - you guys will have a blast!! Enjoy! :)

Dina said...

I ditto what Jennifer said. Have fun!