Thursday, November 20, 2008

One proud daddy

Tonight Ann and I attended our first parent-teacher conference.
I was excited about the whole idea, yet not really too hyped up knowing we would probably only spend a few minutes with her teacher. Also, after only a few months of 1/2 day kindergarten, how much subject matter could there be to discuss? I also didn't want to sit there waiting for her to tell us how great she was, only to feel like she didn't say the word wonderful enough.
Turns out, Clare really is a great student. Bright, attentive and energetic.
'Course I knew that already. But it was pure joy listening to her teacher say it, and knowing she meant it. In fact, the only thing she even bothered to mention as an area to pay attention to was making sure Clare didn't stall out during the year waiting for more things to learn.
She's quite a girl, my little Clare Bear. 
My parents were right... there's nothing quite like your first born.
It was a concern of mine before Addie was born that I would find equal space in my heart for her as the 2nd child. Turns out it was much easier than I thought. Addie is such a fantastic kid in many ways. 
Having said that, Clare will always be special.
I hope she remembers for years to come those words I whispered in her ear tonight.
I'm so proud of you, Clare Bear.

No comments: