Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The post with no name

I have another online addiction. 
Her name is Facebook.
After mocking Ann all last weekend for becoming addicted to it last weekend, I found myself signing up and then diving in head first.
I have a feeling I've only scratched the surface in terms of what kind of time-wasting gadgets I can find on there, but I'm taking little steps.
It has been nice to connect with a few people I was sure would never surface again, like Chris Gardner. A former classmate at East and then roommate at MSU (yes, he's the guy in the tent), I've often wondered where he went. Now I know!
It's a strange universe once you've hooked yourself up to Facebook. Friends or acquaintances from all corners of my life have surfaced. Some are nice to hear from - others are definite WTF moments. (okay, dude, I BARELY remember your name from college and you want to be my online friend? i had plenty of stalker for breakfast this morning, thanks)
Other recent BIG news includes Clare losing her first tooth!
Ann blogged about how she hoped it happened on  my watch, and she got her wish.
That sucker was so wiggly it just HAD to come out. 
It was such a surprise when I pulled and it cooperated... I think it surprised me even more than Clare! She was a total trooper - I calmly told her it was bleeding a little bit, and not to be surprised when she looked in the mirror. She took one look at the little tooth in my hand and then headed straight for the bathroom mirror. She was so excited, she could barely see the empty space in her mouth through the wide smile she had. She kept smiling and hugging me, it was so much fun. Then it was on to the planning for the arrival of the Tooth Fairy.
Much discussion ensued about what he/she looked like, how they would get into the house, whether they would wake anyone up, what would they leave behind and if they would take the tooth with them after the visit.
I had to really think hard and fast about most of these questions to make sure that reality didn't trump my story sooner than it should - honestly I couldn't remember some things like:
a- does she leave it under the pillow? or just in the keepsake box?
b- will the gift from the tooth fairy appear in that same spot?
c- what size is the tooth fairy?
I improvised on the fly, and Clare seemed to be in awe of the whole thing.
In the morning she came tearing into our room earlier than normal, proudly announcing that the tooth fairy had indeed visited, and that she (we're assuming the tooth fairy is a girl) left $2 in the keepsake box where the tooth had been.
The tooth, and all others to follow are going to reside in daddy's tooth heaven, which smells an awful lot like socks. (oh calm down, I'm keeping it in a ziploc bag. no big deal...;-)

In other news, I've flung myself into the wallpaper project in the front foyer. I'm about 80% done stripping the base layer of wallpaper, and boy is that stuff fun. I hope to knock out the last 20% in the next few days. And then I get to look forward to painting it all! Believe me, I'll take pleasure in painting it. That's not to say that the wallpaper stripping is hard work - it's just such tedious, crappy work and all you're doing is getting the walls "ready" to paint. Your not reaping any rewards for your efforts just yet.
And that G#@* D*%$#@ glue. Ugh....
And, AND, if it ever stops raining I would very much like to get the leaves out of my front yard. For now I'm just calling it the fall "yard blanket". I'm sure my neighbors are wondering when the hell I'm going to get out there and blow them all away.. I just hope they remember that I have a job during daylight hours.
By the way, did I mention that sunset at 4:30 pm is a huge buzzkill?
I gotta run. I'm sure I have 5 more friends to accept on Facebook, then I need to do some real work this afternoon.

3 comments:

Kurt said...

Hi Chris~ I was just catching up on your blog, and, like you, I was recently introduced to Facebook. About a week ago my brother invited me to join, and then next thing I know, I'm getting e-mails out the wazzoo from people I haven't thought of in about 19 years! Also glad to read Claire's 1st tooth loss went well; Chloe's a little upset that she hasn't lost one yet (though Peggy and I think she will change her tune once the process has started.) Take care, and hi to Ann! ~ Kurt

Murphy said...

Wait, what? Are you cheating on me with a different Chris Gardner?

CG

Jennifer said...

Welcome to my world of facebook addiction.